How Can Velocity and Angular Momentum Be Calculated in These Dynamics Problems?

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary: Your name]In summary, the expert recommends using the parallel axis theorem for the first and third questions, and also for the second question to assume the rod is uniform. They provide a diagram for the first question and explain the calculations needed for all three questions. They also offer their assistance if the user has any further questions.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4180/82081641.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2650/26169677.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6657/diagramsx.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, the solutions are different from mine, but here is what I did:

Note [itex]\times[/itex] denotes the cross-product

[tex]v_B=\vec{\omega_B} \times \vec{r_{CB}}[/tex]
[tex]v_B=2.5k \times 0.045j=-0.1125j[/tex]

[tex]v_A=\vec{\omega_A} \times \vec{r_{OA}}[/tex]
[tex]v_A= 3k \times 0.06i=0.18j

[tex]\vec{v_{AB}}=\vec{v_A}-\vec{v_B}=0.1125i+0.18j[/tex]

Now, [itex]\vec{r_{AB}}= 0.09i+0.12j[/itex]

[tex]\vec{\omega_{AB}} \times \vec{r_{AB}}= w_{AB}k \times (0.09i+0.12j)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \vec{v_{AB}}=-0.12 \omega_{AB}i+0.09\omega_{AB}j[/tex]

and if I compare components I get two different values for [itex]\omega[/itex]

For the second question, the first thing I'd do is get the moment of inertia of the rod about the centre using (1/12)mL^2 and then say Ia=Torque to get a, then use F=ar to get the force needed. But I do not know if I should assume the rod is uniform and use the parallel axis theorem.

For the third one, I am not too sure how to start that one. All I know that I can get from reading the question is the moment of inertia about the axis using the radius of gyration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your questions.

For the first question, your approach is correct. However, it seems that you have made a mistake in your calculation for the velocity of point B. The correct answer should be -0.1125i, which gives the same result as the one provided in the forum post. I have attached a diagram to help you visualize the problem better.

For the second question, your approach is also correct. Yes, you should assume that the rod is uniform and use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia about the centre. Once you have the moment of inertia, you can use the equation Ia=Torque to calculate the angular acceleration. Then, use F=ma to calculate the force needed.

For the third question, you are correct that you can use the radius of gyration to calculate the moment of inertia about the axis. However, you will also need to use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia about the centre of mass. Once you have both values, you can use the equation Ia=Torque to calculate the angular acceleration. Then, use F=ma to calculate the force needed.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

I would like to clarify a few things about the given content. First, I would like to confirm that the given diagrams and equations are related to dynamics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move. It is important to note that dynamics involves the study of both linear and rotational motion.

In the first question, it seems that the student is trying to find the velocity of point A and B given the angular velocity and position vectors. However, there seems to be some confusion in the calculation of the angular velocity. It is important to remember that the angular velocity is a vector quantity and its direction is determined by the right-hand rule. So, if the rotation is counterclockwise, the angular velocity should be in the positive direction. Also, it is important to use the correct units for the angular velocity, which should be in radians per second.

In the second question, the student is correct in using the moment of inertia and torque to calculate the angular acceleration. However, it is important to clarify the assumption of the rod being uniform and using the parallel axis theorem. The parallel axis theorem can be used to calculate the moment of inertia of an object about an axis parallel to its center of mass. However, it is important to note that this theorem is only applicable if the object is uniform.

For the third question, the student is correct in using the radius of gyration to calculate the moment of inertia. However, it is important to clarify that the radius of gyration is a measure of how far the mass of an object is distributed from its axis of rotation. It is not the same as the radius of an object. Additionally, the student should also consider the conservation of angular momentum in their solution.

In conclusion, it is important for scientists to carefully consider the assumptions and calculations in their solutions to dynamics problems. It is also important to clarify any confusion and ensure that the correct equations and units are used.

1. What are the different types of dynamics in a system?

The four main types of dynamics in a system are: linear dynamics, nonlinear dynamics, stochastic dynamics, and chaotic dynamics. Linear dynamics involves relationships between variables that can be described by linear equations. Nonlinear dynamics involves relationships between variables that cannot be described by linear equations. Stochastic dynamics involves random or probabilistic behavior in a system. Chaotic dynamics involves highly sensitive and unpredictable outcomes based on small changes in initial conditions.

2. How do you measure the dynamics of a system?

The dynamics of a system can be measured through various methods, including mathematical modeling, simulation, and experimental observations. Mathematical modeling involves creating equations that describe the behavior of the system. Simulation involves using computer programs to replicate the behavior of the system. Experimental observations involve collecting data from real-world experiments and analyzing the relationships between variables in the system.

3. What is the role of feedback in dynamics?

Feedback plays a crucial role in dynamics as it describes the relationship between the output of a system and its input. Positive feedback amplifies the output and can lead to instability or chaos, while negative feedback stabilizes the system and helps maintain equilibrium. Feedback loops are also important in understanding the behavior of complex systems, as they can create self-regulating and self-organizing behavior.

4. How do nonlinear dynamics differ from linear dynamics?

Nonlinear dynamics differ from linear dynamics in that they involve relationships between variables that cannot be described by linear equations. Nonlinear systems often exhibit complex and unpredictable behavior, such as bifurcations, attractors, and chaos. In contrast, linear systems are simpler and more predictable, with relationships that can be described by linear equations and follow the principle of superposition.

5. What real-world applications use dynamics?

Dynamics has numerous real-world applications, including in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. It is used to understand the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns, chemical reactions, population dynamics, financial markets, and transportation networks. Dynamics is also crucial in designing and optimizing systems, such as airplanes, cars, bridges, and buildings, to ensure their stability and safety.