A few more trig problems ( Sin(α + β), etc. )

• Thread starter rought
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, in this conversation, the questioner is trying to find the values of various trigonometric functions given the conditions that sinα=4/5 and tanβ=-3/4, where α and β are in the second quadrant. The responder points out that the quadrant affects the signs of the trig functions and suggests that the questioner double check their calculation of tanα.
rought

Homework Statement

Suppose sinα = 4/5 and tanβ= -3/4 where π/2 < α < β < π (pi)

Find:

Sin(α + β)

Cos(α + β)

Tan(α + β)

Sin2α

Cos2β

Tan2α

The Attempt at a Solution

What i have been doing is figuring out the other trig functions

They gave me sinα=4/5 and tanβ=-3/4

from that i found cosα=3/5 tanα=3/4 and sinβ=-3/5 cosβ=4/5

I tried problem a

sin(α+β)=sinαcosβ+cosαsinβ

sin(α+β)=4/5 * 4/5 + 3/5 * -3/5

which gives me 7/25 but I'm not sure I am doing this right... what is the whole (π/2 < α < β < π) thing about am I supposed to be finding points on the unit circle or something? =/

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole "π/2 < α < β < π (pi)" thing refers to the quadrant the terminal sides of angles α and β are in. So what quadrant is this? And how does this affect the evaluation of the trig functions? Because none of these:
rought said:
cosα=3/5 tanα=3/4 and sinβ=-3/5 cosβ=4/5
are correct.01

Last edited:
yeongil said:
The whole "π/2 < α < β < π (pi)" thing refers to the quadrant the terminal sides of angles α and β are in. So what quadrant is this? And how does this affect the evaluation of the trig functions? Because none of these:

are correct.

ahh Ok so it's in the second quadrant which makes the x negative and the y positive

so would that make

cosα=-3/5 tanα=-3/4 and sinβ=-3/5 cosβ=4/5

is this right?

From your given condition, both alpha and beta are in the 2nd quadrant, so how can sin(beta) be negative and how can cos(beta) be positive? If you have these wrong, you are liable to have the others (the tangents) wrong, too.

So would it be cosα = -3/5 tanα = -3/4 and sinβ = +3/5 cosβ = -4/5

Almost. The signs are correct, but double check tan α.

1. What is the formula for Sin(α + β)?

The formula for Sin(α + β) is Sin(α)Cos(β) + Cos(α)Sin(β).

2. How do you solve trig problems involving Sin(α + β)?

To solve trig problems involving Sin(α + β), you can use the sum and difference formulas for Sin, Cos, and Tan. You can also use the unit circle to find the values of Sin(α) and Cos(β).

3. Can you provide an example of a problem involving Sin(α + β)?

Sure, an example problem could be: Find the value of Sin(45° + 60°). To solve this, we can use the formula Sin(α + β) = Sin(α)Cos(β) + Cos(α)Sin(β). Plugging in our values, we get Sin(45°)Cos(60°) + Cos(45°)Sin(60°). Using the unit circle, we can find that Sin(45°) = √2/2 and Cos(60°) = 1/2. Similarly, Sin(60°) = √3/2 and Cos(45°) = √2/2. Plugging these values in, we get (√2/2)(1/2) + (√2/2)(√3/2) = √2/4 + √6/4 = (√2 + √6)/4. Therefore, the value of Sin(45° + 60°) is (√2 + √6)/4.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving trig problems involving Sin(α + β)?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when solving trig problems involving Sin(α + β). These include finding the values for Sin(α) and Cos(β) on the unit circle, as well as using the sum and difference formulas for Sin, Cos, and Tan.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving trig problems involving Sin(α + β)?

You can practice and improve your skills in solving trig problems involving Sin(α + β) by working on various practice problems and exercises. You can also use online resources and videos to understand the concepts better and get more practice. Additionally, it is helpful to review the formulas and concepts regularly to keep them fresh in your mind.