1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few operator questions

1. Mar 27, 2005 #1
    I think these questions may be so simple that I don't know how to properly prove them, but I am really stumped on how to show especially the first one:

Show that [tex](A_{op}^t)^t=A_{op}[/tex] Where [tex]A_{op}[/tex] is an operator and 't' is my way of saying hermitian conjugate

Secondly, I'm not too sure at all how to show this:

Show that the anti-hermitian operator, [tex]I_{op}^t=-I_{op}[/tex] has at most one real eigenvalue

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: oops! Hidden in the annals of the internet I found the appropriate definition for [tex]A_{op}[/tex], but I'm still having trouble with the second one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's straightforward to see that for an eigenvector of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] corresponding to a spectral value [itex]\lambda[/itex]

[tex] \lambda=\langle \psi|\hat{A}|\psi\rangle =\left(\langle\psi|\hat{A}^{\dagger}|\psi\rangle\right)^{*}=(-\lambda)^{*} [/tex]

Therefore the spectral value [itex] \lambda [/itex] is either 0 or purely imaginary...

Daniel.

4. Mar 28, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To show that the hermitian conjugate of the hermitian conjugate of A is A itself, use the definition of "hermitian conjugate"!

5. Mar 28, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For this operatorial equality

[tex] \hat{A}=\left(\hat{A}^{\dagger}\right)^{\dagger} [/tex] (1)

to hold,for a densly defined linear operator A,then the 2 conditions from the definition of operatorial equality on a separable Hilbert space must be met

[tex] \mathcal{D}_{\hat{A}}=\mathcal{D}_{\left(\hat{A}^{\dagger}\right)^{\dagger}} [/tex] (2)

and

[tex] \hat{A}|\psi\rangle=\left(\hat{A}^{\dagger}\right)^{\dagger}|\psi\rangle,\forall |\psi\rangle \in \mathcal{D}_{\hat{A}} [/tex] (3)

Unfortunately,there's no densly defined linear operator on a separable Hilbert space for which (1) (and implicitely (2) & (3)) to hold.

It can be proved that for an arbitrary densly defined linear operator [itex] \hat{A} [/itex] this operatorial inclusion holds true
    [tex] \hat{A}\subset\left(\hat{A}^{\dagger}\right)^{\dagger} [/tex] (4)

Since [itex] \hat{A}^{\dagger} [/itex] is a closed operator,we use (4) to assert that [tex] \left(\hat{A}^{\dagger}\right)^{\dagger} [/tex] is a closed extension of the operator [itex] \hat{A} [/itex].

Ergo,equality (1) doesn't hold true for any densly defined linear operator on a separable Hilbert space...

Daniel.

--------------------------------------------
    NOTE:Red=Incorrect statements.Relation (4) doesn't hold for essentially self adjoint densly defined linear operators.See disclaimer in post #6.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  6. Mar 28, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What i'm saying is that u can't prove something which is incorrect...:wink:

Daniel.

7. Mar 28, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

DISCLAIMER!!

:redface: My professor of QM was wrong (and it's my fault i didn't check other sources on functional analysis)...

The correct relation is

[tex] \hat{A}\subseteq \left(\hat{A}^{\dagger}\right)^{\dagger} [/tex] (1)

Among the operators for which the equality holds,one finds operators which are called ESSENTIALLY SELFADJOINT densly defined linear operators.They form a subset of the set of selfadjoint (not hermitian/symmetric) linear operators acting on a separable Hilbert space for which their adjoint is selfadjoint.They satisfty the relations

[tex] \hat{A}=\hat{A}^{\dagger} [/tex] (the operator is selfadjoint) (2)
    [tex] \hat{A}^{\dagger}=\left(\hat{A}^{\dagger}\right)^{\dagger} [/tex] (its adjoint is selfadjoint) (3)

The relation (1) coupled with the relations (2) & (3) prove that for most of the selfadjoint operators,their adjoint is not selfadjoint,but hermitean/symmetric.

See [1] for a proof that H-atom Hamiltonian (Dirac formulation-Schrödinger picture-coordinate representation) is essentially selfadjoint...

As a comment to post #5,u need to prove the relation (1) and show that the equality limit holds true,only under certain conditions (u need to find these conditions);for example,if the operator is essentially selfadjoint,then it verifies the equality limit.

Daniel.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    [1]J.Prugoveçki:"Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space".

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  8. Mar 28, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I addition to post #6,i would reccomend you to read Akhiezer & Glazman's "The Theory of Linear Operators in Hilbert Space",2nd.ed,Dover,1993.

In section #22,he proves that for a bounded linear ooperator defined on the whole Hilbert space the equality limit holds.On page #80 he mentions the strict inclusion,though he mentions that there are operators for which the equality relation holds...:eek:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?