1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few questions about QFT

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In Zee's book on QFT, I'm confused on page 26 by how we gets from Eq (4)

[itex]W(J) = - \int\int dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}e^{ik^0(x-y)^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{k^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}[/itex]

to Eq (5).

[itex]W(J) = \left( \int d x^0 \right)\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2 +}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]W(J) = - \int\int dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}e^{ik^0(x-y)^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}[/itex]

Zee claims that ``Integrating over y^0 we get a delta function setting k^0 to zero''.

Firstly, I don't see why we may assume [itex]k^0 \to 0[/itex], and even if it does, this surely gives [itex]W(J) \to \iint dx^0dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}\int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i \vec{k}(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2}[/itex]

Is he trying to suggest that the term [itex](k^0)^2[/itex] in the denominator of the k-integrand is somehow negligible compared to [itex]e^{-ik^0(x^0-y^0)}[/itex]? In this case

[itex]\int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi} e^{ik^0(x-y)^0} = \delta(y^0 - x^0)[/itex]. Doing the y^0 integration then simply gives the area under the delta function, which is [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] if I recall correctly... No good.

On the same page, I also don't see what enables us to write [itex]\langle 0 | e^{-i Ht}| 0 \rangle[/itex] in the form [itex]e^{-iEt}[/itex].

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2
    I almost agree with your derivation, except for a stray minus sign in the denominator of the last integral, and the fact that the factor [tex]i\varepsilon[/tex] vanishes.

As for the bra-ket - some derivations allow you to replace an operator with its generalised eigenvalue; that of the hamiltonian H obviously being E. I'm not quite sure what permits this.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    From

[itex]W(J) = - \int\int dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}e^{ik^0(x-y)^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}[/itex]

first you do the [tex]y^0[/tex] integration as

[itex]\begin{multline*}W(J) = - \int dx^0 dk^0 e^{ik^0x^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}\int \frac{dy^0}{2\pi}e^{-ik^0y^0} = - \int dx^0 dk^0 e^{ik^0x^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}\delta(k^0-0)\\=- \int dx^0 \int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{- \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}= \int dx^0 \int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2 - i\varepsilon}\end{multline*}[/itex]

from

[tex] \int\frac{d\,k^0}{2\,\pi}\,\delta(k^0-0)\,f(k^0)=f(0)[/tex]

5. Jan 3, 2008 #4
    Perfect, Rainbow Child. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?