A few questions on time

• Thread starter nuby
  • Start date
Philosophy is not just random idle thoughts vomited onto a keyboard.
Oop, better lock this thread, people are starting to get nasty...

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Philosophy is not just random idle thoughts vomited onto a keyboard. Philosophy is about facts and logic. And one cannot weasel out of a question that is most certainly scientific in nature by saying they are looking for a philosophical answer.
So logically, the mind COULD exists in another "frame" as I pointed out earlier..

JesseM
Science Advisor
So logically, the mind COULD exists in another "frame" as I pointed out earlier..
But assuming this form of mind existed in a parallel universe of sorts (not just another 'frame' in the sense of a coordinate system on the same spacetime), unless it was totally passive and had no effects on behavior (like a person's speech about their own time perception), then if it would result in observers in different inertial frames consistently reporting different things about their time perception, then the new parallel universes you bring up would be interacting with normal spacetime in a way that violates the first postulate of SR.

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
But assuming this form of mind existed in a parallel universe of sorts (not just another 'frame' in the sense of a coordinate system on the same spacetime), unless it was totally passive and had no effects on behavior (like a person's speech about their own time perception), then if it would result in observers in different inertial frames consistently reporting different things about their time perception, then the new parallel universes you bring up would be interacting with normal spacetime in a way that violates the first postulate of SR.
yes, but does this extra parallel universe have to obey the postulates of SR?

Note: I am not serious when I write these things, I just want the discussion for the sake of the original post.

JesseM
Science Advisor
yes, but does this extra parallel universe have to obey the postulates of SR?
But I would interpret the first postulate to apply to all laws which concern events in our spacetime--the fact that these laws may also involve stuff outside of our spacetime doesn't change the fact (IMO) that it's a violation of the first postulate if an inertial observer can do an experiment in a windowless room that will give different results depending on what frame he's at rest in.