What are the job opportunities for an Electrical Engineer with software skills?

• Thread starter Jordan Joab
  • Start date
In summary, the classified section of newspapers showed several companies looking for Software Engineers with specific degree requirements, including BS in CompSci, SoftEng, CompEng, or Electrical Engineering, Mech Eng, Math, etc. While it may seem odd for an Electrical Engineer to be capable of designing software, some may have enough programming experience for the job. The job posting likely covers all backgrounds that could have enough programming experience. For those looking to attend City College of New York, it may be beneficial to gather outside opinions on their Science and Engineering departments to better understand the career paths available. The job market may be competitive, but with a challenging, exciting, and profitable career in mind, CCNY's curriculum may align with those ambitions.
Jordan Joab
Recently, I've been looking at the classified section on newspapers and noticed something interesting. Several companies looking for Software Engineers; nothing odd about that. The interesting part was the degree requirements: BS in CompSci, SoftEng, CompEng, or Electrical Engineering, Mech Eng, Math, etc. Now, I understand any professional with any of these titles will have a general understanding of software and programming but I didn't think an Electrical Engineer would be capable of designing software.

A) Are these companies looking for an Electrical Engineer that can design software related to Electrical Eng? An Electrical Engineer that can design software unrelated to E.Eng? Or do they simply lump all these professions into one?

With the above in mind, I'm planning to attend City College of New York and would like outside opinions about their Science and Engineering Depts. As of now, I'm still in a gray area as to what I'd like to become but with a better understanding of what to expect it will be easier to choose a career. I'm looking for a very challenging, exciting, and profitable career and hopefully CCNY's curriculum matches my ambitions. I simply don't want to choose a career that can be thrown into some kind of "pot" along with other professions when looking for a job. Thanks for your time.

Jordan Joab.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert and I don't know if anyone other than that company ca really answer your Question but' here's my 2 cents:

it may be that the company needs software for some sort of math/science/eng. based application. They feel then that anyone with a degree in Math/Physics/Eng. has had some programing experience and should feel comfortable thinking about and dealing with what ever it is they need done. Thus maybe they feel they can train them or bring them up to speed on the software eng. side of things. Perhaps they are hiring for a team to design the software so they may not need another dedicated SW Eng. where as someone more versed in the math/physics of their situation could be more beneficial

Jordan Joab said:
Now, I understand any professional with any of these titles will have a general understanding of software and programming but I didn't think an Electrical Engineer would be capable of designing software.

Hey, them's fighting words! :-)

Nah, some EEs have a lot of programming experience. The job posting is just trying to cover all the backgrounds that could have enough programming experience for the job.

berkeman said:
Hey, them's fighting words! :-)

Nah, some EEs have a lot of programming experience. The job posting is just trying to cover all the backgrounds that could have enough programming experience for the job.

Makes sense. I was simply curious about how a job posting could be so broad and general by lumping that many professions into one. Anyone have information regarding the last paragraph of my 1st post? Thanks.

Jordan Joab

1. What industries can an electrical engineer with software skills work in?

An electrical engineer with software skills can work in a variety of industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and energy.

2. What job titles can an electrical engineer with software skills hold?

Some possible job titles for an electrical engineer with software skills include software engineer, control systems engineer, embedded systems engineer, automation engineer, and systems integration engineer.

3. Are there any specific programming languages or software tools that an electrical engineer should be proficient in?

To excel in a career as an electrical engineer with software skills, it is important to be proficient in programming languages such as C++, Python, and Java. Knowledge of software tools such as MATLAB, LabVIEW, and Simulink can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any specific certifications or additional qualifications that an electrical engineer should have?

Obtaining certifications in areas such as software engineering, embedded systems, and control systems can enhance an electrical engineer's job opportunities and demonstrate their expertise in these areas.

5. What is the job outlook for electrical engineers with software skills?

The job outlook for electrical engineers with software skills is positive, with a projected job growth of 5% from 2019-2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the increasing demand for new technologies and the role of software in various industries.