Solving Sound Problems: Beats, Interference & Wavelengths

• Thread starter Gauss177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: How did you find the beat frequency?In summary, the conversation covers questions about the number of beats heard when two identical flutes play middle C at different temperatures, finding the lowest frequency for destructive interference between two loudspeakers at a certain distance, and determining the beat frequency and spacing between peaks for a sound source emitting two different wavelengths.
Gauss177

Homework Statement

1. How many beats will be heard if two identical flutes each try to play middle C (262 Hz), but one is at 0.0 deg C and the other is at 20.0 deg C?

2. Two loudspeakers are 2.5 m apart. A person stands 3.0 m from one speaker and 3.5 m from the other. a) What is the lowest frequency at which destructive interference will occur at this point? b) Calculate two other frequencies that also result in destructive interference at this point (give the next two highest).

3. A source emits sound of wavelenghts 2.80 m and 3.10 m in air. a) How many beats per second will be heard (assume T = 20 deg C)? b) How far apart in space are the regions of maximum intensity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. It says middle C is 262 Hz, but is this at 20 deg C or 0 deg C? I think this needs to be known to figure out the frequency at each temperature.

2. I've only seen an example of this kind of problem where the frequency of sound emitted is given, so I'm not sure what to do about this problem. But for (b) I think that destructive interference occurs every half wavelength.

3. For (a) I used the v=(freq)(wavelength) equation and plugged in the given wavelengths and speed of sound (343 m/s) to find the frequencies to be 122.5 and 110.6 Hz, so I found the beats will be heard at 11.9 Hz. I'm not sure how to do (b) though, but is the answer .084 (it occurs every time a full wavelength passes)?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.The frequency given is probably given for standard temperature, which is 0C.

2. You are correct that the waves need to be separated by half a wavelength for destructive inteference:

The waves each travel a different distance to the observer, r. For there to be destructive interference:

[tex]\Delta r = (n + 1/2)\lambda[/tex]

Now if you want the shortest frequency, you want the longest wavelength correct? What does this force the interger n to be? See how far you can get now.

3. This question is asking for the beat frequency(beats per min.):

[tex] f_{beat}=f_1-f_2[/tex]Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks G01. I think I did 3a correctly, but how do you do 3b?

well assume the beat frequency exists independent of all else, how would the peaks be spaced?

1. What are beats in sound and how do they occur?

Beats are the periodic variations in amplitude or loudness of a sound wave. They occur when two sound waves of slightly different frequencies interfere with each other. This interference results in the formation of constructive and destructive interference patterns, causing the perceived loudness of the sound to fluctuate.

2. How can beats be used to tune musical instruments?

Beats can be used to tune musical instruments by adjusting the frequency of one of the instruments until the beats disappear. This indicates that the frequency of the two instruments is the same, and they are in tune.

3. What is the principle of superposition and how does it relate to sound interference?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. This applies to sound interference as well, where the amplitudes of two sound waves add together, resulting in constructive or destructive interference.

4. How does wavelength affect sound interference and the perception of beats?

The wavelength of a sound wave affects the distance between interference patterns and the frequency of the resulting beats. Shorter wavelengths result in closer interference patterns and a higher frequency of beats, while longer wavelengths result in further interference patterns and a lower frequency of beats.

5. Can sound interference and beats be used to measure the speed of sound?

Yes, sound interference and beats can be used to measure the speed of sound. By using two sound sources at known distances, the frequency of the beats can be measured and used to calculate the speed of sound using the formula v = fλ, where v is the speed of sound, f is the frequency of the beats, and λ is the wavelength of the sound wave.