1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few Vector calc questions.

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    1. I was reading on the geometric interpretation of the grad operator. I've did until the point where this particular relation was given.

[tex]d\varphi=0=C_1-C_1=\Delta C=(\nabla \varphi)\bullet d \vec r [/tex]

This is when we permit [tex] \vec r [/tex] to take us from the surface [tex] \varphi (x,y,z)=C_1[/tex] to another adjacent surface [tex]\varphi (x,y,z)=C_2 [/tex] where c are constants.

Why is it that in the first equation we have [tex] C_1-C_1[/tex] ?? Also, why is it that the consequence of the first relation shows that,

for a given [tex]\vert {d\vec r}\vert[/tex], the change of [tex] \varphi [/tex], [tex] d \varphi [/tex] is maximum when [tex]\vert {d\vec r}\vert[/tex] is parellel to [tex] \nabla\varphi [/tex] when [tex] \nabla\varphi [/tex] is normal to the surface.

2. While evaluating the divergence of vector, [tex] \nabla \bullet \vec r f(r) = \frac {\partial}{\partial x} (xf(r))+ \frac {\partial}{\partial y}(yf(r))+ \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (zf(r)) [/tex],

why is it equivalent to,

[tex] 3 f(r)+\frac {x^2}{r} \frac {df}{dr}+\frac {y^2}{r} \frac {df}{dr}+\frac {z^2}{r} \frac {df}{dr} [/tex] ????

I've tried manipulating the partial differentials using chain rules and all but don't seem to get it. Can someone show me the steps how? Also,

3. I was trying to simplify[tex]\nabla \times f \vec v \vert _x = \frac {\partial}{\partial y} (f V_z)-\frac {\partial}{\partial z} (f V_y)[/tex]. Also, how does it reduce to the final answer,

[tex] f \nabla \times \vec V \vert _x +\nabla f \times \vec V \vert _x [/tex]??

I have also tried manipulating the partial derivatives to no avail. Can someone help??? thanks alot....

: )

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here you should use the product and chain rule. Also: [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/itex]

So for example:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(xf(r))=f(r)+x\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(r)[/tex]
    This explains where the 3f(r) comes from.
    Now:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(r(x,y,z))=\frac{df}{dr}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}[/tex]

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"This is when we permit to take us from the surface [tex] \varphi (x,y,z)=C_1[/tex]
    to another adjacent surface [tex] \varphi (x,y,z)=C_1[/tex] where c are constants."

No, I don't think that's what that particular formula is intended to show. What that shows is that the derivative in a direction tangent to a level surface is 0 so [tex](\nabla \varphi)\bullet d \vec r= 0 [/tex]: that is, the gradient is perpendicular to all level surfaces.
    What is true is that, since [itex]\vec u \bullet \vec v= |\vec u||\vec v|cos(\theta)[/tex], [tex](\nabla \varphi)\bullet d \vec r [/tex] is largest when cos(θ) is 1: i.e. θ= 0 and the two vectors are parallel.

For 2, I surprised you didn't see it while looking at the chain rule.
    [tex]r= (x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] so [tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= \frac{1}{2}(x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^\frac{-1}{2}(2x)= \frac{x}{r}[/tex].
    Of course, the same is true of the derivative with respect to y and z.
    Now, [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(xf(r))= f(r)+ x\frac{\partial f}{/partial x}= f(r)+ \frac{x^2 f'(r)}{r}[/tex].

That first term is what gives you "3f(r)".

5. Mar 14, 2005 #4
    Hey, thanks alot, that helped. Actually what i had problems with was the use of the product rule while evaluating [tex] \partial/ \ {\partial} x (xf(r))[/tex] and i also failed to keep in mind that [tex] r=\sqrt {x^2+y^2+z^2[/tex] but that was sorted out anyway.

thanks alot. I've still got one question regarding the curl operator though.......hope that someone could help me with that.

6. Mar 14, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general

[tex] (\nabla\times\vec{f})_{x}=...? [/tex]

Daniel.

7. Mar 14, 2005 #6
    For, [tex] \nabla \times \vec f [/tex], it is,

[tex] det \left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}

\hat x & \hat y & \hat z\\
    {\partial}/{\partial x} & {\partial}/{\partial y} & {\partial}/{\partial z} \\
    F_x & F_y & F_z \\

\end{array}
    \right)

[/tex]

(the matrix is quite horrible though, i can't seem to type it the right way, but i guess you know what i mean).

hmmm, i've tried doing the curl again, i got,

[tex]\nabla \times f \vec v \vert _x = \frac {\partial}{\partial y} (f V_z)-\frac {\partial}{\partial z} (f V_y)[/tex]

Using the product rule

[tex]( f \frac {\partial{V_z}}{\partial {y}} + {V_z}\frac {\partial {f}}{\partial y})-(f \frac {\partial{V_y}}{\partial {z}} + {V_y}\frac {\partial {f}}{\partial z})[/tex]

Simplifying,

[tex] \frac {\partial}{\partial {y}} (f V_z +V_z f)-\frac {\partial}{\partial {z}} (f V_y+ V_y f)[/tex]

[tex] 2f( \frac {\partial}{\partial {y}} V_z - \frac {\partial}{\partial {z}} V_y) [/tex]

[tex] 2f \nabla \times \vec {v} \vert _x[/tex]

Where do i go from here? Or are my steps wrong?

8. Mar 14, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

kay,the code is \begin{array}{ccc} (3 columns)...

Okay.

Now solve your problem.

Daniel.

9. Mar 14, 2005 #8
    hmmm, i've tried it in the edited post above.

10. Mar 14, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,use the Leibniz rule
    [tex] [\nabla\times (f\vec{V})]_{x} =[(\nabla f\times \vec{V})+f(\nabla\times\vec{V})]_{x} =... [/tex]

Daniel.

11. Mar 14, 2005 #10
    lol, leibniz's rule did everything. But I've arrived at the solution already, thanks alot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?