Position, Displacement & Force Vectors: Solving 3D Vector Problems

• Thread starter Physicus2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about working with 3-D vectors, specifically two particles A and B and their position and displacement vectors. The speaker is unsure about how to approach the problem and seeks assistance. They discuss using Pythagoras' Theorem to solve for the components of the vectors and creating a unit vector for the force vector. The conversation ends with the expert providing guidance on how to solve the problem using geometric concepts.
Physicus2

Homework Statement

I'm working with some 3-D vectors, which I'm a bit unsure about. I may have more of a clue than I think, but I could use a bit of assistance. So...

I'm dealing with two particles, A and B. A is on the x-y plane where x=y (*corrected: this was mistyped as x=7 when originally posted; it should be x=y) and is 20 meters from the origin, while B is on the y-z plane where y=z and is 40 meters from the origin. Write the two position vectors A and B in terms of their components, and the same for the displacement vector R that goes from A to B. Then, write a force vector F with magnitude 20 Newtons and pointing from A to B (also in component form).

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial and probably primary issue with this problem is determining where these two points are. I presume in digging through my thoughts that A is at point (20, 20, 0) and B (0, 40, 40). That would mean that my components are (for A) 20i + 20j and (for B) 40j + 40k. I'm not positive about this, though, and I'd appreciate some advice. As for the force vector, I realize I need to use (create) a unit vector to do this, but how do I create a vector that is in this 3-D form? My thought is that I could do this when I have the other vector components, but how do I use the magnitude (20 Newtons) in order to solve this?

Thank you for any assistance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a matter of actually drawing it out to solve for things =).

Such as the first part; x = 7 and is 20 meters away. We can use Pythagoreans theorem to this. x = 7, R = 20. a^2 + b^2 = c^2; b^2 = c^2 - a^2; b (This is y) = sqrt(20^2 - 7^2).

Then you have an idea of where it should be in the y direction =).

For A: [x y z] --> [7 y z]

It's just setting it up geometrically (using triangles) to understand where they are and applying some stuff here and there =). There's nothing too tricky about it, it's just how you go about doing your work.

Last edited:
Thank you, that does help. I do unfortunately have to say that I apparently glossed over it in my proofreading, but the question should state that "x=y" and not "x=7." What does this do for the development of my triangle? Does that mean that the two sides are 20 and 20, since the point is 20 from the origin?

No. You have a point A in the x-y plane, such that its distance from the origin in 20 and its x coordinate is equal to its y coordinate. So, one can construct a right angled triangle with sides x, y and 20 (where 20 is the hypotenuse). Try using Pythagoras' Theorem on this triangle to obtain x and y (remembering that x=y).

Last edited:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude of the vector.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has a numerical value, while velocity is a vector quantity because it has both a numerical value (speed) and a direction.

3. What are some common applications of vectors?

Vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, and navigation. They can be used to represent forces, velocities, and displacements, among other things.

4. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you align them tail to tail and then draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is called the resultant, and its magnitude and direction can be calculated using trigonometric functions.

5. Can vectors be multiplied?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied in two ways: by a scalar (a single number) or by another vector. Multiplying a vector by a scalar changes the magnitude of the vector, while multiplying two vectors together results in a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. This is known as a cross product.