1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few work problems

1. Dec 13, 2006 #1
    We recently covered work in my calculus class, and I'm confused on how to approach these problems. I know work is the integral of force, but I just don't know how to start these problems. Thanks for the help.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. If 6 J of work are needed to stretch a spring from 10 cm to 12 cm and another 10 J are needed to stretch it from 12 cm to 14 cm, what is the natural length of the spring?

2. A cable that weighs 2 lb/ft is used to lift 800 lb of coal up a mineshaft 500 ft deep. Find the work done.

3. When gas expands in a cylinder with radius r, the pressure at any given time is a function of the volume: P = P(V). The force exerted by the gas on the a piston (in the cylinder) is the product of the pressure and the area: [tex]F = \pi r^2P[/tex]. Show that the work done by the gas when the volume expands from volume V1 to volume V2 is: W = Integral from V1 to V2 of P dV.

2. Relevant equations
    Work = integral of Force

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Start by writing the force as a function of distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?