1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Finite Line Charge's Electric Field?

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the x-axis from x=0 to x=a. A positive point charge q is located on the positive x-axis at x=a+r, a distance r to the right of the end of Q.

Calculate the x-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis where x>a (i.e., r>0) in terms of some or all of the variables k, q, Q, a, and r, where [tex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}.[/tex]

I don't know what to do, whether it is to split Q into infinitely small sizes and calculate E field for each small part through an integral or what?!

Where do I get started?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds good to me. How about starting with calculating the x component of the field from a single infinitesmal element? Once you've done this, we can discuss how one might generalize it to an integral.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?