Solving the Firework Exploding Homework Statement

• Thread starter JJones_86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of the third piece of a firecracker that explodes into three equal pieces at its highest point. By applying the conservation of momentum, the initial momentum of 0 is equal to the final momentum of the three pieces. The correct approach is to consider the vectors' x and y components and use the equation \vec P_1 + \vec P_2 + \vec P_3 = 0 to solve for the third piece's velocity.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

A firecracker is tossed straight up into the air. It explodes into three pieces of equal mass just as it reaches the highest point. Two pieces move off at 130 m/s at right angles to each other. How fast is the third piece moving?

Homework Equations

P = m*v
Pi = Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

So the initial momentum is 0 because it is not moving when it explodes, so doesn't that mean that final momentum is 0 because of the conservation of momentum? I tried this, but I'm not getting the right answerl...

Physics news on Phys.org
JJones_86 said:

Homework Statement

A firecracker is tossed straight up into the air. It explodes into three pieces of equal mass just as it reaches the highest point. Two pieces move off at 130 m/s at right angles to each other. How fast is the third piece moving?

Homework Equations

P = m*v
Pi = Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

So the initial momentum is 0 because it is not moving when it explodes, so doesn't that mean that final momentum is 0 because of the conservation of momentum? I tried this, but I'm not getting the right answerl...

What you have are two vectors at right angles. You are right about momentum being conserved. Hence you have the third momentum that must balance the first 2.

Ok here is my attempt at a solution

Particle 1
P = m * v
P = m * 130 m/s

Particle 2
P = m * v
P = m * 130 m/s

Particle 3(Unknown)
P = m * v

----------------------
So in order for it to equal 0 I used this equation...

P1 + P2 + P3 = 0
m(130 m/s) + m(130 m/s) + m*v = 0

So I'm obviously using the wrong equation because of the two unknowns..

JJones_86 said:
Ok here is my attempt at a solution

Particle 1
P = m * v
P = m * 130 m/s

Particle 2
P = m * v
P = m * 130 m/s

Particle 3(Unknown)
P = m * v

----------------------
So in order for it to equal 0 I used this equation...

P1 + P2 + P3 = 0
m(130 m/s) + m(130 m/s) + m*v = 0

So I'm obviously using the wrong equation because of the two unknowns..

What you failed to do is treat the vectors by their x,y components.

Your equation is not a scalar equation, it is a vector equation.

[tex] \vec P_1 + \vec P_2 + \vec P_3 = 0 [/tex]

Ok, I got it now, Thank you very much!

1. What is the purpose of solving the firework exploding homework statement?

The purpose of solving the firework exploding homework statement is to understand the scientific principles behind the explosion of fireworks and to apply that knowledge to solve a given problem or question related to fireworks.

2. How do fireworks explode?

Fireworks explode through a chemical reaction called combustion. The explosion is triggered by a fuse, which ignites a small amount of gunpowder, creating hot gases that expand rapidly and cause the explosion.

3. What factors affect the explosion of fireworks?

The factors that affect the explosion of fireworks include the type and amount of chemicals used, the design and structure of the firework, and external conditions such as wind and temperature.

4. Can you provide an example of a firework exploding homework problem?

An example of a firework exploding homework problem could be calculating the height a firework will reach based on its initial velocity, mass, and the force exerted by the explosion.

5. How can understanding the science behind firework explosions be applicable in real life?

Understanding the science behind firework explosions can be applicable in real life by allowing us to design and create safer and more visually stunning fireworks displays. It can also be useful in fields such as chemistry and physics, where knowledge of combustion and chemical reactions is essential.