Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A first ever course on LQG.

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Jorge Pulling is teaching a course for UG in intro to LQG, I thought some of you might be interseted, here:
    http://www.phys.lsu.edu/classes/spring2010/phys4750/

Unfortunately he hasn't yet uploaded his Lecture Notes,I hope he will eventually upload them.
    I could email him ofcourse... (-:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Undergraduate level notes would be excellent. I find that I don't have the time to really get into LQG at a serious level because of the very technical presentations to date. Haha, I would love something at a reasonable level mathematically without gobs of philosophy.

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Ok, Iv'e sent him an email, and he said that he will send me his LN when they will be in a better shape than now.

PM, you can email him as well.

I think it's superb there is such a course, but I think there should be more places offering such courses, ofcourse in places where there are LQG researchers.

At least for BSC upto MSC level.

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4
    Definitely ask him for notes. I'm about to enter my grad studies, and I'd like to some day do some work in the area, so this would be invaluable to me.

6. Mar 29, 2010 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I agree. I hope that as soon as anyone finds out that Jorge Pullin's notes are available, they will share the information.

In the meantime, some familiar with classical relativity---the Palatini and Holst formulations of GR, for instance---could look at Hanno Sahlmann's 20 page "crash course" coverage of LQG:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.4188

He starts at a fairly high classical level, but he's clear, straightforward. Uses pictures. A young guy who just made faculty at Karlsruhe, I believe.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook