Looking for LQG Lecture Notes? Check out Hanno Sahlmann's Crash Course!

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course Lqg
In summary, there is a course being offered by Jorge Pullin on intro to LQG at the undergraduate level. Unfortunately, the lecture notes have not yet been uploaded, but they can be requested by emailing Pullin directly. The hope is that more courses like this will be offered in places with LQG researchers. In the meantime, Hanno Sahlmann's 20-page "crash course" on LQG can serve as a resource for those familiar with classical relativity.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Jorge Pulling is teaching a course for UG in intro to LQG, I thought some of you might be interseted, here:
http://www.phys.lsu.edu/classes/spring2010/phys4750/

Unfortunately he hasn't yet uploaded his Lecture Notes,I hope he will eventually upload them.
I could email him ofcourse... (-:

Physics news on Phys.org
Undergraduate level notes would be excellent. I find that I don't have the time to really get into LQG at a serious level because of the very technical presentations to date. Haha, I would love something at a reasonable level mathematically without gobs of philosophy.

Ok, Iv'e sent him an email, and he said that he will send me his LN when they will be in a better shape than now.

PM, you can email him as well.

I think it's superb there is such a course, but I think there should be more places offering such courses, ofcourse in places where there are LQG researchers.

At least for BSC upto MSC level.

Definitely ask him for notes. I'm about to enter my grad studies, and I'd like to some day do some work in the area, so this would be invaluable to me.

Physics Monkey said:
Undergraduate level notes would be excellent...

I agree. I hope that as soon as anyone finds out that Jorge Pullin's notes are available, they will share the information.

In the meantime, some familiar with classical relativity---the Palatini and Holst formulations of GR, for instance---could look at Hanno Sahlmann's 20 page "crash course" coverage of LQG:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.4188

He starts at a fairly high classical level, but he's clear, straightforward. Uses pictures. A young guy who just made faculty at Karlsruhe, I believe.

Last edited:

1. What is LQG?

LQG stands for Loop Quantum Gravity, which is a theoretical framework for understanding the fundamental nature of gravity at the quantum level. It combines elements of quantum mechanics and general relativity to provide a better understanding of the fabric of space-time.

2. Why is a course on LQG important?

A course on LQG is important because it introduces students to a cutting-edge area of research in theoretical physics. It also provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe and offers potential insights into the nature of black holes and the origins of the universe.

3. What are some key concepts covered in a course on LQG?

Some key concepts covered in a course on LQG include the quantization of space-time, the relationship between space and time, the role of spin networks in describing the fabric of space, and the implications of LQG for theories of quantum gravity.

4. Is a background in physics necessary to take a course on LQG?

Yes, a background in physics is necessary to fully understand and appreciate a course on LQG. Familiarity with concepts from quantum mechanics, general relativity, and mathematical methods is essential for comprehending the complexities of LQG.

5. What are the potential applications of LQG?

Some potential applications of LQG include providing a more complete theory of quantum gravity, offering insights into the behavior of black holes, and providing a framework for understanding the early universe. LQG may also have practical applications in areas such as cosmology and quantum computing.