A fly on a windshield

• Thread starter omc1
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 0.195 gram fly colliding with a 1375 kg car traveling at 116 km/h and sticking to it. The change in speed of the car can be calculated using the equation V(1f)=(m1-m2/m1+m2)V(1i)+ (2m2/m1+m2)V(2i) with m1 being the car's mass, m2 being the fly's mass, V(1i) being the car's initial velocity, and V(2i) being the fly's initial velocity. The solution provided by the first individual was incorrect.
omc1

Homework Statement

A stationary 0.195 gram fly encounters the windshield of a 1375 kg automobile traveling at 116 km/h, and sticks to it. What is the change in speed of the car due to the fly

Homework Equations

V(1f)=(m1-m2/m1+m2)V(1i)+ (2m2/m1+m2)V(2i)

The Attempt at a Solution

1374.99/1375.00=(.9999x116) +0=115.998 116-115.98=0.00116 but its telling me that's wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
<< solution deleted by Moderators >>

Last edited by a moderator:
i kinda see what you're doing and it seems similar to what i was doing but i don't see where u got some of your numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
lendav_rott said:
<< solution deleted by Moderators >>

Please do not do students' homework for them here on the PF. Please instead provide hints, ask questions, find errors in their work, etc. That's made pretty clear in the Rules link at the top of the page.

I would like to clarify that the equations used in this attempt at a solution are not applicable in this scenario. The equations used are for elastic collisions, where both objects involved bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In this case, the fly sticks to the windshield, indicating an inelastic collision. Therefore, the correct approach would be to use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be written as m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1 + m2)v1f, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the car and the fly respectively, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the car and the fly, and v1f is the final velocity of the car after the collision. Solving for v1f, we get v1f = (m1v1i + m2v2i)/(m1 + m2). Plugging in the values given, we get v1f = (1375 kg x 116 km/h)/(1375.195 g + 1375 kg) = 115.9999 km/h. This means that the change in speed of the car due to the fly is only 0.0001 km/h, which is negligible. This is because the mass of the fly is so small compared to the mass of the car that it does not significantly affect the car's speed.

What is a fly's impact on a windshield?

A fly's impact on a windshield is caused by the force of the fly hitting the surface of the windshield while in flight. This force can vary depending on the speed and size of the fly, but it can be enough to leave a visible mark or even crack the windshield in rare cases.

Why do flies often end up on windshields?

Flies are attracted to sources of light and heat, and windshields can often reflect and absorb these elements. They may also mistake the windshield for a potential food source, leading them to land on it.

Can a fly's impact on a windshield cause damage to the car?

In most cases, a fly's impact on a windshield will not cause any significant damage to the car. However, if the fly is large enough or traveling at a high speed, it is possible for it to cause a crack or chip in the windshield.

Can a fly survive hitting a windshield?

It is highly unlikely for a fly to survive hitting a windshield at high speeds. The impact of the fly hitting the windshield is usually too strong for the fly to withstand, and it will likely die upon impact.

How can I prevent flies from ending up on my windshield?

To prevent flies from ending up on your windshield, you can try to avoid driving near areas where there are a lot of flies, such as trash cans or open fields. You can also use a windshield cover or park your car in a garage to reduce the likelihood of flies landing on your windshield.