Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A fly was buzzing around me

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1
    Knocking flies out of the air:

It started some days ago when walking my dogs. A fly was buzzing around me and so I thrust out my hand in its general direction. Whack! I caught it on my thumb somehow and sent it on a stunned beeline to the ground. Where it remained for some seconds before dizzily flying away--away from me. But then, you know, something similar happened today as an insect--perhaps a firefly--got too close to me and I smacked it with one of my fingernails, accidentally as I remember it (didn't even know he was there). The beast went shooting down... down... but recovered before it struck the ground. And I have some recollection of doing something like that again later today, too, but details escape.

The real achievement was the fly whack. Those things are quick.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please keep us posted

4. Jun 22, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I hit a fly with a remote control a few nights ago. Dang thing kept on flying! He was a pretty big one too

5. Jun 22, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You have to remember to switch the remote from 'stun' to 'kill' for the big ones.

6. Jun 22, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just use the twelve gauge. The good part is that even if you miss, they still fly out through the holes in the walls.

There is a new urban legend which states that one can take a baggy, fill it about 1/8 full of water, hang the bag over the door, and flies won't cross the doorway. The dramatic new revelation allegedly comes from the Middle East. While pointing to his own baggy hanging above the door, as the source of this story was telling my brother how well it works, my brother pointed to a fly in the living room. His buddy responded, "oh, he got caught inside and now he's afraid to leave".

7. Jun 22, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it really a beeline if it's a fly? :tongue2:

8. Jun 22, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I believe that the PC term is 'airborne arthropod-American line'.

9. Jun 22, 2005 #8
    I said "beeline" intentionally, you know... playing on that. I know I make it look easy but making posts like these requires an awesome degree of skill.

I'm kind of kidding, but not about the beeline thing

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  10. Jun 22, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got quite a nice fly swat. It's tennis-racket shaped, but instead of strings has a metal grille. A couple of batteries and a capacitor inside mean that you can swat any flying insects with a satisfying 'crack', and blue flash as they get electrocuted. If you press the buttons down long enough, your victim will twitch and give off smoke.

Bloody well hurts if you zap your own skin with it, though.

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Electro-swat/electro-swat-GB.asp

11. Jun 22, 2005 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

When I worked at a refinery, I was given the duty of picking up garbage and cleaning the lunch area. Anyway, I encountered a lot of flies, which I used to flick with my finger - most never recovered. Then I discovered a spider web in the corner of a window near the lunch table.

I started catching flies - and depositing them in the spider's web. :devil: The spider was very cooperative in disposing of the flies.

Soon there were fewer flies.

12. Jun 22, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I love that thing! I want one! And the Venus flytrap as well. Unfortunately, the video didn't play for me (audio only; I run into that a lot with that one particular player).

13. Jun 22, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My Venus died, although she was pretty rubbish at catching flies on her own, I had to feed her ones I zapped with my zapper thingy.

14. Jun 22, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

That seems a bit redundant, or are you referring to a real one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?