A football punter accelerates a 0.56kg football

• Thread starter mustang
  • Start date
In summary, the mass of the football being accelerated is 0.56kg. The punter accelerates the football by applying a force to it with their foot. The acceleration of the football is dependent on the force applied by the punter and the mass of the football, and can be calculated using the formula F=ma. Factors such as the force applied, mass, air resistance, and surface can affect the acceleration of the football. The acceleration ultimately determines the speed and direction of the football, which in turn affects its trajectory.
mustang
A football punter accelerates a 0.56kg football from rest to a speed of 8.2 m/s in 0.24s.
What constant force does the punter exert on the ball? Answer in units of N.
Note: Is the answer 19.13333333N? I used the impulse-momentum theorem where m was 0.56kg and vf=8.2m/s and vi=0m/s, in addition delta t is 0.24s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for all who were helping. I rechecked my work and I found that the answer was 19.13333N.

Yes, the answer is indeed 19.13333333N. You used the correct formula and plugged in the given values correctly. The impulse-momentum theorem states that the impulse (change in momentum) is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time interval. Therefore, by rearranging the formula, we can calculate the force to be 19.13333333N (impulse/mass x change in velocity). Great job!

1. What is the mass of the football being accelerated?

The mass of the football is 0.56kg.

2. How does the punter accelerate the football?

The punter accelerates the football by applying a force to it with their foot.

3. What is the acceleration of the football?

The acceleration of the football is dependent on the force applied by the punter and the mass of the football. It can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of the football?

The acceleration of the football can be affected by factors such as the force applied by the punter, the mass of the football, the air resistance, and the surface the football is being kicked on.

5. How does the acceleration of the football affect its trajectory?

The acceleration of the football ultimately affects its trajectory by determining its speed and direction. The greater the acceleration, the faster the football will travel and the further it will go. The direction of the acceleration also plays a role in the trajectory of the football.