1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A force/acceleration problem

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    During the performance of the Bouglione circus in 1976, John Tailor was fired from a compressed-air cannon whose barrel was 20m long. Taylor emerged from the cannon at 40 m/s. If Tailor's mass was 70kg, find the force on him during the firing of the cannon.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I understand that in order to get the force I must get the acceleration first. What's the relevance of the length of the barrel to the computations? How should I proceed? Thank you! ^__^.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, force F is just mass times acceleration, or F = ma. We know the mass, so we must find the acceleration.

Now all we have to do is think of the appropriate equation of motion to use.

We know he starts at rest so v0 = 0, he emerges from the cannon at v=40 m/s, and the distance over which he is accelerated is 20 m.

So, what equation do we use?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?