How can Fourier Optics be used to analyze and explain experimental physics?

In summary, the students used a He-Ne laser to produce a Fourier image in the focal plane and observed the image in the image plane as well as in the Fourier plane. They used a grid shaped ruling to block high frequency components and then observed the image with a low pass filter and a image slide. Next, they inserted an image slide and used a low pass filter to remove the graininess. They explained that a low-pass filtered image is blurred, but preserves the low frequency broad smooth regions of dark and bright. Mathematically, low-pass filtering is equivalent to an optical blurring function. The students asked for help understanding what mathematical analysis could be used to explain the recorded images. They were told that a slit
JamesJames
I've been reading some stuff on Fourier Optics (Johnson, Optics) and have become quite interested in how Fourier transforms can be used to explain so much. But I have stumbled on something thta is confusing me.

Two students perform a "Fourier Optics" experiment to explore Fourier transform analysis in relation to Experimental Physics. The He-Ne laser used in the experiment is focused onto a 10 micrometer pinhole with adjustable micrometer screws. Three identical lenses are provided inorder to realize 4f-focussing. They all have a focal length of 350 mm. The first lens acts as a condenser to provide a parallel uniformly illuminated beam. The second lens produces a Fourier image in the focal plane (where low pass filtering can be applied using an aperture). The third lens is used to convert the modified Fourier image again into a normal filtered inverted image.

A grid shaped ruling was placed between the condenser and imaging lens. The image was to be observed in the Fourier plane as well as in the image plane. Slits of different widths were placed in the focal plane to cut out high Fourier components first in the horizontal and then in the vertical planes.

Here’ s my question: Would it be possible to completely remove one set of lines and if the slit was rotated in the Fourier plane by 45 degrees what would be observed?

Here’ s the way I see it: A slit of certain width can used to block higher frequency components. The slit could be aligned with a vertical axis, and completely shuts out frequency components along another axis. The produced image in the Image plane would consist of only horizontal lines, since the diffractive pattern of Ronchi rulings is perpendicular to the plane of the rulings.

Next, the students inserted an image slide into the holder and a low pass filter was used to remove the graininess. Here’s what I think: I have read and understood that a low-pass filtered image would be blurred, but preserves the low frequency broad smooth regions of dark and bright and losing the sharp contours and crisp edges. Mathematically, low-pass filtering is equivalent to an optical blurring function.

How could mathematical analysis (just a broad description of the procedure) be used to explain the recorded images?

James

Science news on Phys.org
If someone could tell me why my analysis is wrong it would help a great deal.

Anybody? Please, it would help my understanding of the topic.

Guys, I have understood the thing about the lines and 45 degree angle but am confused about only the last part and would REALLY appreciate some feedback.

My initial explanation of the low pass filter thing is wrong. From what I understand regarding the image slide, the spatial frequency spectrum of this image consists of a low-frequency component representing the picture information and a high-frequency component generated by the grid. Blocking the high frequencies using a low pass filter resulted in us getting a smoother image and the discontinuous nature of the original was not observed. What can I say mathematically about this? Is there some way to elaborate on this point using Fourier transform analysis? Or something mathematical?

I've been utilizing Fouriers for a while now. Basically, the key is to import several togglers at once. It's pretty simple to juggle the reciprocating results. The Fraunhoefer diffraction typically splits them image frame, hence the need for at least three opt toggles.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it is at a higher level than my understanding. Is there a simpler mathematical formulation? Or are togglers something not too complicated?

Regarding the grid(mesh thing) would it be correct to say that a slit of certain width (to block higher frequency components) aligned with a vertical (y-axis) completely removes frequency components along z-axis. The resulting image produced in the image plane would consist of only horizontal lines, since the diffractive pattern of Ronchi rulings is oriented in a perpendicular direction to the plane of the rulings.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Anything mathematical would be of great help for the low pass filter and for the above post, it does not need to the be mathematical.

1. What is a Fourier Optics experiment?

A Fourier Optics experiment is a type of experiment in which light is manipulated using the principles of Fourier optics. This involves the use of lenses, mirrors, and other optical elements to control the spatial and temporal properties of light.

2. What is the purpose of a Fourier Optics experiment?

The purpose of a Fourier Optics experiment is to study the properties of light, such as its amplitude, phase, and polarization, and how they are affected by different optical elements. This can be used to create images, manipulate light for various applications, and understand the behavior of light in different environments.

3. What are some common applications of Fourier Optics experiments?

Fourier Optics experiments have a wide range of applications, including microscopy, holography, spectroscopy, and optical communications. They are also used in the design and testing of optical instruments, such as telescopes and cameras.

4. What are the basic components of a Fourier Optics experiment?

The basic components of a Fourier Optics experiment include a light source, optical elements such as lenses and mirrors, and detectors such as cameras or photodiodes. These components are arranged in a specific way to manipulate and analyze the properties of light.

5. What are some challenges in conducting a Fourier Optics experiment?

One of the main challenges in conducting a Fourier Optics experiment is accurately controlling and aligning the optical elements. Any small misalignments can significantly affect the results. Additionally, the experiment may require specialized equipment and techniques, making it more complex and time-consuming compared to other types of experiments.