Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A fractional latex code

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    How can this code be coded by another way?

## \frac {300-270.1}{T-130}## = ## \frac {313.-270.1}{135-130}##

And it is also very strange that the right side O.K but left side is not but everything is the same for left and right.

#,# \frac {300-270.1}{T-130}## = ## \frac {313.-270.1}[135-130}#,#

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I don't see a problem. On the right, you have 313. and on the left you have 300 no dot.

The denominator is centered under the numerator too. It looks pretty good.

4. Apr 29, 2017 #3
    But even though code is written with ## it doesn't seem to be in bold type. What is the problem, it shoud have been in bold type.

Thank you.

5. May 8, 2017 #4
    I would like to ask about this code:

latex frac.png

Above code is from here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

I am confused because \frac 1 2 should be seem as ## \frac 1 2##. Why it does not work in the rendered code?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

6. May 8, 2017 #5

fresh_42

Not quite sure what you mean. If you write \text{ then anything in those brackets is plain text, whether it is a formula \frac{1}{2} or not }.
    Outside this \text{ } command, you get ##\frac 1 2 = \frac{1}{2}## if in formula mode. You even get it inside, as # # ... # # interrupts the \text{ } environment.

7. May 8, 2017 #6
    This was what exactly I ask. But what does "plain roman text" mean? Would you explain this concept in a most simple way?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. May 8, 2017 #7

fresh_42

It just means text. You can have a # # ... # # environment with a \text{} or \textrm{} command in between. E.g. if one writes a long formula, or a formula embedded in $ $ ... $ $, then it is often convenient to insert short text entries like "and" or "such that" without having to leave the math mode, e.g.
    $$
    \forall x \in X \text{ and } \forall y \in X \; \exists z \in X \textrm{ such that } x + y = z
    $$
    which is written as
    $ $
    \forall x \in X \text{ and } \forall y \in X \; \exists z \in X \textrm{ such that } x + y = z
    $ $

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted