How can I determine the voltage across a 6k ohm resistor using Ohm's Law?

• Thread starter dortec
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for help with a problem involving determining the voltage across a 6k ohm resistor. They have tried using KCL and KVL but have been unable to get the correct answer. They have also tried using equivalent resistors and changing the voltage source into a current source. The person has been working on the problem for a long time and is asking for help without having to show their work again. Another person suggests showing their equations to see where they went wrong. Eventually, someone provides a solution involving using Ohm's Law to determine the current and then using that to calculate the voltages.
dortec
Can someone please help me with this problem?? I tried kcl, kvl, and nothing is working... the voltage across the 6k ohm resistor should be equal to 6 volts! but I am never able to get this answer.
please help

problem: Determine the voltage across the resister with 6 k(ohms)..

Attachments

• As.jpg
    As.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
come on someone help:S

Did you read the first post in this forum (the FAQ)? It says:

"1) Did you show your work? Homework helpers will not assist with any questions until you've shown your own effort on the problem. Remember, we help with homework, we don't do your homework. We already passed those classes, it's your turn to do so. "

man, I've been working all day long yesterday with the problem. I've already told you i used kvl and kcl on the nodes and nothing worked, i tried changing the voltage source into a current source and still it didnt work.. i tried finding equivalent resistors .. and still .. the same thing, I am never getting a right answer.. so can u please help?

Just don't say say what you did.
SHOW us the equations so we know where you went wrong.

nevermind.. thnks for the help ...

anyways if someone is willing to help just do please. and don't ask to add my work.. because I've already told u wat i did..

Prob.PNG

See the diagram above.

I tried this and got the right answer.

Voltage V is the voltage across the current generator. I1 is the current going left from there towards the 8 Volt supply.

I put the voltage V equal to two things containing I1. Just Ohms Law.
These are then equal to each other so you can work out I1.

Once you know that you can work out the voltages.

1. What is the "freaky problem" in your research?

The "freaky problem" refers to a strange or unusual phenomenon that has been observed during the course of our research.

2. What caused this "freaky problem"?

The cause of this "freaky problem" is still under investigation. We are currently conducting experiments and gathering data to determine the root cause.

3. How does this "freaky problem" impact your research?

The "freaky problem" has significant impacts on our research as it challenges our current understanding and requires us to adjust our methods and hypotheses. It also opens up new opportunities for further exploration.

4. Have you encountered similar "freaky problems" in your past research?

Yes, as a scientist, encountering unexpected and unusual findings is not uncommon. It is often these "freaky problems" that lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in our field.

5. What steps are you taking to address this "freaky problem"?

We are taking a multi-faceted approach to address this "freaky problem". This includes conducting further experiments, collaborating with other researchers, and analyzing our data from different perspectives to gain a better understanding of the issue.