1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Freaky problem, and i need help.

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    Can someone please help me with this problem?? I tried kcl, kvl, and nothing is working... the voltage across the 6k ohm resistor should be equal to 6 volts! but im never able to get this answer.
    please help

problem: Determine the voltage across the resister with 6 k(ohms)..

Attached Files:

• As.jpg
      As.jpg
      File size:
      11.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2
    come on someone help:S

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    Did you read the first post in this forum (the FAQ)? It says:

"1) Did you show your work? Homework helpers will not assist with any questions until you've shown your own effort on the problem. Remember, we help with homework, we don't do your homework. We already passed those classes, it's your turn to do so. "

5. Oct 25, 2009 #4
    man, i've been working all day long yesterday with the problem. I've already told you i used kvl and kcl on the nodes and nothing worked, i tried changing the voltage source into a current source and still it didnt work.. i tried finding equivalent resistors .. and still .. the same thing, im never getting a right answer.. so can u please help?

6. Oct 25, 2009 #5
    Just don't say say what you did.
    SHOW us the equations so we know where you went wrong.

7. Oct 25, 2009 #6
    nevermind.. thnks for the help ...

8. Oct 25, 2009 #7
    anyways if someone is willing to help just do please. and dont ask to add my work.. cuz ive already told u wat i did..

9. Oct 25, 2009 #8

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Prob.PNG

See the diagram above.

I tried this and got the right answer.

Voltage V is the voltage across the current generator. I1 is the current going left from there towards the 8 Volt supply.

I put the voltage V equal to two things containing I1. Just Ohms Law.
    These are then equal to each other so you can work out I1.

Once you know that you can work out the voltages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook