What size capacitor do I need for my CO2 laser power supply rectifier?

In summary, the speaker is building a CO2 laser for fun and has a tube that requires 11-18KV DC to fire. They have a 20A variac, a 15KV transformer, and a bag of "1A, 1000V" diodes. They have built a full-wave bridge rectifier using 24 diodes to handle the peak voltage, but are having trouble getting enough voltage output. They are also interested in using a capacitor to level things out, but are unsure of what size to get. They have been advised to be careful when working with high voltages and to use proper eye protection. The speaker is also looking for advice on the number of diodes needed for the rectifier and the
zuulmusic
So I'm building a CO2 laser for fun, basically.
I have a tube that requires 11-18KV DC to fire.
Right now I have a 20A variac, a 15KV transformer (30ma out) and then I need to build a rectifier.
I have a bag of "1A, 1000V" diodes.
So far, I built a full-wave bridge rectifier out of them. I used 6 of these diodes for each "diode" in the bridge, so 24 total. This was to handle the peak voltage.
So I have the variac to the 15kv transformer to the rectifier to the tube.
I can't get the full-wave bridge rectifier to put out enough voltage.
When I use a string of diodes in a half-wave rectifier setup, It works, but I get a TON of AC in the output (tested with multimeter at low voltage levels, about 100vcd and 400vac).

Also interested in using a capacitor to level things out, but don't know what size to get. I figure 20kv peak, but what about the farads?
So any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Bill

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd suggest you look around for high voltage diodes and capacitors on ebay, they have pretty good deals sometimes.

If you connect 15 diodes (1000 V) in series that will give you max voltage rating of 15 KV. That would count as 1 diode.

So for a half-wave rectifier you need 30 diodes and for a full wave you 60 diodes.

So I've got to use more diodes... i will try it and see how that works.
thanks

I'm more used to seeing a diode-cap ladder arrangement used as the voltage multiplier output of a moderate-voltage transformer. That distributes the high voltage drops across multiple diodes and caps. Check out some of the circuit ideas at this page:

http://www.discovercircuits.com/P/pwr-hivolt.htm

You could also just use the flyback circuit from a TV set. Black and white sets are in the 15kV range or so, and color sets are in the 25-35kV range. But for heaven's sake, be careful zuulmusic. Working with high voltages like those can get you seriously hurt or killed. Especially using a flyback transformer from a TV set, since the output is DC referenced to ground unless you use an isolation transformer at the TV circuit input. You *DO* know what an isolation transformer is, right?

"But for heaven's sake, be careful zuulmusic. Working with high voltages like those can get you seriously hurt or killed."

If you get the thing working, I would say...Be careful of the lasers UV output. You should check into the proper eye protection.

waht said:
I'd suggest you look around for high voltage diodes and capacitors on ebay, they have pretty good deals sometimes.

If you connect 15 diodes (1000 V) in series that will give you max voltage rating of 15 KV. That would count as 1 diode.

So for a half-wave rectifier you need 30 diodes and for a full wave you 60 diodes.
Are you sure about this? In this rectifier configuration, current is always flowing through two "diodes" with the load between then essentially. So wouldn't I need more like 32 diodes (8 diodes for each of the four "diodes" in the rectifier). That way its going through 16 diodes each half cycle.

Since this is for an educational display, I wanted to keep this as a fairly simple full wave bridge rectifier design. Also I already have everything except a filtering capacitor. Any ideas on the values for that?
Thanks!

What is a laser power supply?

A laser power supply is a device that provides the necessary electrical power to operate a laser. It converts input power from a standard electrical outlet into the specific power requirements needed for a laser to function.

Why is a laser power supply important?

A laser power supply is important because it ensures that the laser is receiving the correct amount of power to operate efficiently and produce the desired results. Without a proper power supply, a laser may not work at all or may not produce the desired output.

How does a laser power supply work?

A laser power supply works by converting the incoming AC power into DC power and then adjusting the voltage and current to meet the specific requirements of the laser. It also regulates the power to ensure a stable and consistent output.

What are the main components of a laser power supply?

The main components of a laser power supply include a transformer, rectifier, voltage regulator, and current regulator. Some power supplies may also include additional features such as overcurrent protection or temperature control.

Are there different types of laser power supplies?

Yes, there are different types of laser power supplies depending on the type of laser being used and its power requirements. Some common types include switch-mode power supplies, linear power supplies, and pulsed power supplies.