Proving f(x) > 0 for All x: Analyzing f(x)

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum value of the function f(x) = x^{12}-x^{9}+x^{4}-x+1 and proving that it is always increasing. Different methods, such as graphing and factoring, are suggested to solve the problem. There is also a discussion about the roots of polynomials and the possibility of a root being negative or 0.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

[tex]f(x)=x^{12}-x^{9}+x^{4}-x+1[/tex]

Find th minimum possible value of the function, and show that its an always increasing function.
Actually I want to prove that f(x)>0 for all x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Its difficult for me to factorize this.
[tex]dy/dx=12 x^{11} - 9 x^{8} + 4 x^{3} -1 [/tex]
How shall I find the required information from the derivative. Is there any other way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphing the fcn with a calculator is the easiest way to solve this.

- f'(x) = 0 at x = 0.67460257...
- f'(x) monotonically increases, but is not always positive.
- f'(x) changes from - to + through the zero listed above (so f(x) achieves an absolute min at x = 0.6746...)
- This minimum is y = 0.5124...

It follows from the statements above that since f(x) has 1 extremum, a minimum, and since this minimum is positive that f(x) > 0 for all x.

I did this a little differently. We start by plugging two values of x, a and -a, where a>0. From this we have

[tex]f(-a)=a^{12}+a^9+a^4+a+1>0[/tex] and
[tex]f(a)=a^{12}-a^9+a^4-a+1[/tex]​

Now, since [tex]a^{12}>a^9[/tex] and [tex]a^4>a[/tex], [tex]f(a)>0[/tex]. Since f(-a) and f(0) are both obviously always going to be positive, we can conclude that [tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R}, f(x)>0[/tex]. Q.E.D.

kreil said:
Graphing the fcn with a calculator is the easiest way to solve this.

- f'(x) = 0 at x = 0.67460257...
- f'(x) monotonically increases, but is not always positive.
- f'(x) changes from - to + through the zero listed above (so f(x) achieves an absolute min at x = 0.6746...)
- This minimum is y = 0.5124...

It follows from the statements above that since f(x) has 1 extremum, a minimum, and since this minimum is positive that f(x) > 0 for all x.

You are right exactly! But the problem is friend that we are not allowed to use the calculator. :smile:

foxjwill said:
I did this a little differently. We start by plugging two values of x, a and -a, where a>0. From this we have

[tex]f(-a)=a^{12}+a^9+a^4+a+1>0[/tex] and
[tex]f(a)=a^{12}-a^9+a^4-a+1[/tex]​

Now, since [tex]a^{12}>a^9[/tex] and [tex]a^4>a[/tex], [tex]f(a)>0[/tex]. Since f(-a) and f(0) are both obviously always going to be positive, we can conclude that [tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R}, f(x)>0[/tex]. Q.E.D.

Thanks a lot foxjwill. But what u said is not true for 0<x<1
[tex]a^{12}>a^9[/tex] and [tex]a^4>a[/tex]
These inequalities are not true for the interval x[tex]\in[/tex](0,1)

Could you clarify what you mean by 'an always increasing function', since with my reasonable assumption of what that means, that polynomial is not an "always increasing function" on the real line, since the derivative at 0 is negative.

First of all, let us factor the function is this manner - [tex]f(x) = x^{12} - x^9 + x^4 - x +1 = x^9( x^3 -1) + x( x^3-1) + 1 = (x^9 + x) (x^3 -1) + 1 = x(x^8 + 1) (x-1)(x^2 +x +1) +1 [/tex].

Up to that point, it should all be obvious steps. Now, let us take those 2 linear terms to make one quadratic, and also take the other quadratic, and complete the square on both of them:

[tex]f(x) =(x^2 - x)(x^2+x+1)(x^8 +1) + 1 = \left( \left(x- \frac{1}{2}\right)^2 -\frac{1}{4} \right) \left( \left(x+\frac{1}{2} \right)^2 +\frac{3}{4}\right) (x^8 +1) + 1 [/tex]

From there, expand the first two brackets as such:

[tex]f(x) = \left[ ( x-\frac{1}{2})^2 \left( (x+\frac{1}{2})^2 + \frac{3}{4} \right) - \frac{1}{4} \left( (x+\frac{1}{2})^2 + \frac{3}{4} \right) \right] (x^8+1) + 1[/tex]
To get the minimum value of the function, we first must find the minimum value of the terms in the square brackets; this means we want the first term to be as small as possible, and our second completed square to be as large as possible. For the positive term, the minimum value of the perfect square in [0,1] is 1/4, whilst the minimum value of the completed square is 1. Hence, their product can never be less than 1/4.

For the negative term, we maximize the completed square in [0,1] to to see our negative term has at most a magnitude of 3/4. Hence, the minimum value of the square brackets in -1/2. Since we want to subtract as much as possible, maximize the degree 8 term in (0,1). That term will always be less than 2. Hence we will always subtract less than 1 from the remaining constant term if x (0,1), and if we let x=0 and x=1 into f(x) we see that f(x) =1. And so f(x) will always be greater than zero in [0,1]

EDIT: Not only did I express that horribly, I'm certain there has got to be a more elegant way than that.

Last edited:
Reference in rotation among the transactions
+,-,+,-,+

if f(r) =0 then r>0
r=root in f

Are you trying to say that the roots of, say, x^3-x must all be strictly positive, m_s_a? Or perhaps you should explain your cryptic comment?

Yes .. Yes
This is what I want to say

So, if x^3=x, then x must be strictly positive? Even though (-1)^3=-1 and 0^3=0? And indeed for any polynomial with zero constant term 0 is always a root irrespective of signs.

matt grime said:
So, if x^3=x, then x must be strictly positive? Even though (-1)^3=-1 and 0^3=0? And indeed for any polynomial with zero constant term 0 is always a root irrespective of signs.

Challenge
write Polynomail
More than double the rotation
an=/=0
r=0 or A negative number

Last edited:
I'm afraid I cannot understand what you've written. That's why I asked you to clarify what you mean. You really need to define 'rotation' and then '(more than) double rotation'. One can only guess that you're referring to the signs of the coefficients changing, and as I pointed out to you something like

x^6 - x^5 + x^4 - x^3 + x^2 - x

has a root at x=0, which seems to contradict what you *might* be saying.

matt grime said:
I'm afraid I cannot understand what you've written. That's why I asked you to clarify what you mean. You really need to define 'rotation' and then '(more than) double rotation'. One can only guess that you're referring to the signs of the coefficients changing, and as I pointed out to you something like

an=/=0
Because
Rotation does not appear in a double -

Last edited:
Try
Term is not defined
Time is Open:devil:

Gib Z said:
First of all, let us factor the function is this manner - [tex]f(x) = x^{12} - x^9 + x^4 - x +1 = x^9( x^3 -1) + x( x^3-1) + 1 = (x^9 + x) (x^3 -1) + 1 = x(x^8 + 1) (x-1)(x^2 +x +1) +1 [/tex].

Up to that point, it should all be obvious steps. Now, let us take those 2 linear terms to make one quadratic, and also take the other quadratic, and complete the square on both of them:

[tex]f(x) =(x^2 - x)(x^2+x+1)(x^8 +1) + 1 = \left( \left(x- \frac{1}{2}\right)^2 -\frac{1}{4} \right) \left( \left(x+\frac{1}{2} \right)^2 +\frac{3}{4}\right) (x^8 +1) + 1 [/tex]

From there, expand the first two brackets as such:

[tex]f(x) = \left[ ( x-\frac{1}{2})^2 \left( (x+\frac{1}{2})^2 + \frac{3}{4} \right) - \frac{1}{4} \left( (x+\frac{1}{2})^2 + \frac{3}{4} \right) \right] (x^8+1) + 1[/tex]
To get the minimum value of the function, we first must find the minimum value of the terms in the square brackets; this means we want the first term to be as small as possible, and our second completed square to be as large as possible. For the positive term, the minimum value of the perfect square in [0,1] is 1/4, whilst the minimum value of the completed square is 1. Hence, their product can never be less than 1/4.

For the negative term, we maximize the completed square in [0,1] to to see our negative term has at most a magnitude of 3/4. Hence, the minimum value of the square brackets in -1/2. Since we want to subtract as much as possible, maximize the degree 8 term in (0,1). That term will always be less than 2. Hence we will always subtract less than 1 from the remaining constant term if x (0,1), and if we let x=0 and x=1 into f(x) we see that f(x) =1. And so f(x) will always be greater than zero in [0,1]

EDIT: Not only did I express that horribly, I'm certain there has got to be a more elegant way than that.

I think U r wrong there. The terms inside the square bracket:
the minimum of first is 0
the maximum of the term to be subtracted is 3/4
and the max value of [tex]x^{8}+1[/tex] is two
which on multiplication gives< -1.
SO I am still having a problem with this.

Does anyone know what m_s_a is on about?

Since you (m_s_a) can't be explain yourself I'm going to stop trying to understand.

m_s_a said:
Try
Term is not defined
Time is Open:devil:

m_s_a said:
an=/=0
Because
Rotation does not appear in a double -

matt grime said:

m_s_a said:
Challenge
write Polynomail
More than double the rotation
an=/=0
r=0 or A negative number

matt grime said:

m_s_a said:
Yes .. Yes
This is what I want to say

matt grime said:
Are you trying to say that the roots of, say, x^3-x must all be strictly positive, m_s_a? Or perhaps you should explain your cryptic comment?

m_s_a said:
Reference in rotation among the transactions
+,-,+,-,+

if f(r) =0 then r>0
r=root in f
Hey guys! I am unable to understand a word u say. Please be more explicit, and don't deviate from the original question :)
regards,
Ritwik

I believe that m_s_a was attempting to shed some light onto something... I have no idea what though.

Ahh God damn it.

[tex]f(x) = (x^4 - x^9) + (-x + x^{12} ) + 1[/tex].

1. How do you prove that f(x) is always greater than 0 for all values of x?

To prove that f(x) is always greater than 0 for all values of x, you can use a variety of mathematical techniques such as induction, contradiction, or direct proof. It is important to carefully define your function and clearly state your assumptions before beginning the proof.

2. What are the key steps in analyzing f(x) to prove that it is always greater than 0?

The key steps in analyzing f(x) to prove that it is always greater than 0 include understanding the properties of the function, carefully defining the domain and range, and using mathematical techniques such as substitution, simplification, and solving equations to manipulate the function and prove its positivity.

3. Can you provide an example of proving f(x) > 0 for all x?

Yes, for example, if f(x) = x + 2, we can prove that f(x) is always greater than 0 for all values of x by substituting any value for x and showing that the result is always positive. For instance, when x = 1, f(1) = 3, which is greater than 0.

4. What are some common misconceptions about proving f(x) > 0 for all x?

Some common misconceptions about proving f(x) > 0 for all x include assuming that the function will always have a positive value without carefully analyzing its properties, using incorrect mathematical techniques, or overlooking important assumptions or conditions.

5. How does proving f(x) > 0 for all x relate to real-world applications?

Proving f(x) > 0 for all x is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many real-world applications. For example, in physics, this concept is used to show that certain physical quantities, such as velocity or energy, are always positive. In economics, it can be used to analyze the profitability of a business or investment. Additionally, proving f(x) > 0 for all x is essential in many engineering and scientific fields to ensure the accuracy and validity of mathematical models and calculations.