1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A functional equation

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex] a.b,c,d [/itex] be real numbers such that [itex] a ≠ b [/itex] and [itex] c ≠ 0 [/itex], find f:R->R for which this statement holds:

[tex] af(x+y) + bf(x-y) = cf(x) + dy [/tex] , for all x,y real numbers.

2. Relevant equations

Well this is a functional equation, that I know. I have less experience with those type of euqations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to plug in some values:

for x = y: [tex] af(2x)=cf(x)+dx-bf(0) [/tex]

for x = y = 0 :[tex] af(0) + bf(0) = cf(0) [/tex]

I don't know what to do next, and how could these facts can help me. Can anyone help me solve this problem, please :D ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If you set [itex]y = -x[/itex] in the functional equation, you will get a second linear equation which [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f(2x)[/itex] must satisfy.

Do these linear simultaneous equations have a unique solution? Are the resulting expressions for [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f(2x)[/itex] consistent, or do you have to impose further conditions on [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex]?

This tells you that if [itex]a + b = c[/itex] then [itex]f(0)[/itex] is arbitrary, and if [itex]a + b \neq c[/itex] then [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex].

4. Dec 29, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless f is identically 0 we must have a+b = c. Just put y = 0 in the functional equation to see why.

5. Dec 31, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

The interesting case is [itex]a + b \neq c[/itex] and [itex]d \neq 0[/itex].

6. Dec 31, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##a+b \neq c## then ##f(x) \equiv 0##. To see this, put y = 0 to get
    [tex] (a+b) f(x) = c f(x)[/tex]
    which is supposed to hold for all values of x. If ##f(x_0) \neq 0## then ##a+b = c##.

7. Jan 1, 2014 #6
    Thank you all for your hints!!!! I managed to solved. You guys are the best!!!

8. Jan 1, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just for interest: what is your solution?

9. Jan 2, 2014 #8
    First, I noticed a subtle "symmetry" in the equation, I don't know how to call it otherwise. So I plugged -y instead of y and I got the system:

[tex] af(x+y) + bf(x-y) = cf(x) +dy [/tex]
    [tex] af(x-y) + bf(x+y) = cf(x) - dy [/tex]

Then, I played a little with the system. I won't post the whole the whole steps because it's only a little algebra. But, I will tell you what I tought: I wanted to get rid of f(x+y). So I mutliplyed the first equation by b and the second by a, the I substracted the second equation from the first, and it led me to:

[tex] (b^2-a^2)f(x-y) = c(b-a)f(x) + d(b+a)y [/tex] .

Next I plugged x , instead of y , and I got that:

[tex] f(x) = \frac{a+b}{c}f(0)+\frac{d(a+b)}{c(a-b)}x [/tex]

That function f(x) verifies the initial conditions. And that's it.. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted