Finding the Source of Assignment Copies

• Thread starter somy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where students are copying assignments from each other and the teacher assistant suggests using a new experiment to find the original source of the copies. The teacher assistant has noticed that there are only a few types of assignments and the ones written in pencil are more likely to be copied. They ask for suggestions on how to find the cheaters and someone suggests using a genetic algorithm. Another person mentions a similar behavior observed in an artificial life model and suggests introducing a subtle error into the problem to differentiate between copiers and the true solver.
somy
A funny problem!

Hi everyone.
I'm a teacher assistant. and my students always copy their assignments from each other! :mad: I suggested to do a new experiment :biggrin:
I want to find the original one who is the source of the coppies!

I have noticed that there are just two or three types of assignments. (It is clear from the notations and the sentences!). Some of them make a little change to the main one, but still I can notice that it belongs to one of the groups.
Also the pencil written papers are more probable ones. Because most of the coppiers do it by pen!

Just tell me your suggestions to find the cheaters!
Thanks.
somy :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Copiers tend to leave out errors and intermediate steps and they introduce additional errors which turn out inconsequential for the result by some magic self-correcting mechanism, namely the copying from some original.
Do you want to make a NEW funny math problem out of this?
Imho the computer geneticists have been working on this seriously for some time.

Thanks Dr.Thonking.
But can you tell me genetic algorithm of this experiment. Any suggestion would be usefull.

Imho the computer geneticists have been working on this seriously for some time

This behavior was observed in an artificial life model developed by Tom Ray called Tierra. In this simulation there are parasites that cooperate clandestinely between them. Ray called these parasites "cheaters"

Here's a trick that may or may not work. The premise it that the copiers, knowing that they have easy access to solutions, will not bother to read the questions carefully, while the real solver will.

So, you introduce a subtle error into the problem, the copiers will automatically error-correct, if the error is well chosen.

For instance, in a word problem, you can introduce a person's name, like 'Jonson' or 'Elisabeth'. While the true solver may copy the name correctly, the copiers will invariably write 'Johnson' or 'Elizabeth'.

Of course, this is only a probabilistic approach, and so, is no good for any official purposes.

1. What is the purpose of finding the source of assignment copies?

Finding the source of assignment copies is important for academic integrity and preventing plagiarism. It helps ensure that students are submitting original work and not using someone else's work without proper attribution.

2. How can I determine if an assignment has been copied?

There are several methods for determining if an assignment has been copied. Plagiarism detection software, such as Turnitin, can compare a submitted assignment to a large database of sources to check for similarities. Additionally, manually checking sources and looking for inconsistencies in writing style or language can also reveal potential plagiarism.

3. What can I do if I suspect an assignment has been copied?

If you suspect an assignment has been copied, you can first speak with the student and ask for an explanation. If you are not satisfied with their explanation or are unable to resolve the issue, you can bring it to the attention of the appropriate academic authority, such as a department chair or dean.

4. Can assignments be copied unintentionally?

Yes, assignments can be unintentionally copied if a student does not properly cite their sources or paraphrases without giving credit. It is important for students to understand the importance of proper citation and avoiding plagiarism.

5. How can I prevent students from copying assignments?

Educating students on the importance of academic integrity and proper citation can help prevent them from copying assignments. Providing clear guidelines and expectations for assignments can also make it more difficult for students to copy from others. Using plagiarism detection software can also serve as a deterrent for students considering copying work.