A Galvanometer of Coil Resistance 50 Ω Deflects Full Scale....

In summary, to construct a voltmeter that deflects full scale for 35.0 V, a series resistance of 9,950 Ω should be used with a galvanometer of coil resistance 50.0 Ω.
AUAO1

Homework Statement

A galvanometer of coil resistance 50.0 Ω deflects full scale for a current of 3.50 mA. What series resistance should be used with this galvanometer to construct a voltmeter which deflects full scale for 35.0 V

Homework Equations

/Known Variables
[/B]
R1 + R2... + Rn = Rtotal
R = V/I
Vv = 35V; Rg = 50 Ω; I = 3.50 mA or 0.0035 A

The Attempt at a Solution

Since a voltmeter occurs in a series, I have used the relevant equation above (Rv + Rg = Rtotal) where Rtotal = Vv/I (since current is constant). Replacing Rtotal with Vv/I gives Rv + Rg = Vv/I, so to find the resistance of the voltmeter, it would be Rv = (Vv/I) - Rg. Substituting the values in gives (35/0.0035) - 50 so Rv = 9,950 Ω (9.95 x 10^3 Ω). This means that Rtotal = 10,000 Ω (1.00 x 10^4 Ω).

Help and feedback is very much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AUAO1,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your reasoning and results look good.

They ask for the required resistance to put in series with the galvanometer, which you found to be 9950 Ω. The value of Rtotal wasn't necessary, but it's nice that you calculated it, too.

Likes AUAO1
Hello and thank you gneill!

Thank you for the quick response and feedback. It's always nice to be sure that I'm on the right track with these questions so your help is much appreciated!

Likes gneill

What is a galvanometer?

A galvanometer is an instrument used to detect and measure small electric currents. It typically consists of a coil of wire suspended in a magnetic field.

What does the coil resistance of 50 Ω mean?

The coil resistance of 50 Ω refers to the amount of electrical resistance in the coil of the galvanometer. This resistance determines the amount of current needed to produce a full scale deflection on the galvanometer.

What does it mean for a galvanometer to deflect full scale?

When a galvanometer deflects full scale, it means that the needle or pointer on the instrument has reached its maximum deflection. This indicates that the current being measured is at its highest level.

Can a galvanometer measure both AC and DC currents?

Yes, a galvanometer can measure both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents. However, the method of measurement may differ for each type of current.

How accurate is a galvanometer in measuring currents?

The accuracy of a galvanometer depends on various factors such as the sensitivity of the instrument, the precision of the scale, and the skill of the operator. Generally, galvanometers have a high level of accuracy and can measure currents with a precision of 0.1% or less.