Building Gauss Meter with Hall Effect or Mosfets - CoolMagnetMan

• Thread starter prince7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gauss
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a device to measure magnetic fields and the possibility of using a hall effect transistor or other devices such as Mosfets. The speaker also mentions an easier method using wire, op-amp, resistor, capacitor, and voltmeter if the magnetic field is large and uniform. A link is provided for more information on this topic.
prince7
im working in a project requires a measuring of magnetic Fields
all i need right now is a device to build up a gauss meter i have found a one using a hall effect
transistor here in this link http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magmeter.htm
but these hall effect transistor isn't found in Egypt
so anyone can tell me ant other device can be used
like a certin transistor maybe Mosfets
thanks;

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an easy way to measure magnetic fields using only wire, an op-amp, a resistor, capacitor, and a voltmeter, if you have a big enough volume of uniform field (about a 5-cm cube). This because Faraday's Law may be written

∫V·dt = -∫B·dA

(So volts times seconds = Teslas times m2)

See my post # 27 in

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=70290&highlight=flip+coil&page=2

Bob S

1. What is a Gauss meter and how does it work?

A Gauss meter is a device used to measure the strength of a magnetic field. It works by utilizing the Hall effect, which is the production of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the flow of current. This principle is used to measure the strength of the magnetic field and display it in units of Gauss or Tesla.

2. Can I build my own Gauss meter using Hall effect or Mosfets?

Yes, it is possible to build a Gauss meter using Hall effect or Mosfets. The process may vary depending on the specific materials and components available, but there are many tutorials and guides available online that can help you through the process.

3. What are the advantages of using Hall effect or Mosfets for a Gauss meter?

Hall effect and Mosfets are both reliable and accurate methods for measuring magnetic fields. They are also relatively inexpensive and can be easily incorporated into DIY projects. Additionally, they can be used to measure both DC and AC magnetic fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using Hall effect or Mosfets for a Gauss meter?

One limitation of using Hall effect for a Gauss meter is that it is sensitive to temperature changes. This means that the readings may be affected by fluctuations in temperature. For Mosfets, one limitation is that they are only suitable for measuring DC magnetic fields. They cannot accurately measure AC magnetic fields.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my DIY Gauss meter using Hall effect or Mosfets?

To ensure the accuracy of your DIY Gauss meter, it is important to carefully follow instructions and use high-quality components. Additionally, you can calibrate your Gauss meter by comparing its readings to those of a known, calibrated meter. This will help you make any necessary adjustments and improve the accuracy of your DIY Gauss meter.