1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A general question about gravity

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1

phy

I remember reading something similar to this somewhere but now I can't remember. Is it true that eventually gravity fails and the planets will fall out of their orbit and collide...or something like that? I find that kind of hard to believe because for that to happen wouldn't it mean that we would need the energy to be zero and that's highly unlikely to happen? Anyways, thanks in advance. Oh and if anybody knows of any credible websites that have to do with this, please do post them. Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2
    I have never heard of anything like that. Any website that sites gravity will one day fail are best to be ignored.

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, that's baloney.

- Warren

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4

phy

Okie great. Does anybody know of any sites that state it's not true?

6. Feb 24, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every site in existence about gravity.

- Warren

7. Feb 24, 2005 #6

phy

Ummm ok :confused:

Thanks lol

8. Feb 26, 2005 #7
    The big crunch?

Although that does'nt necessitate failure of natural laws. Although I would imagine it would not be very "good" for the planets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?