1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A general topology problem

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be a set equipped with a topology tau1, and let tau2 be the cocountable topology in which a set V in X is an open set if V is empty or X - V has only finitely or countably many elements. Consider the topology tau consisting of all sets W in X such that for each point p in W there exist subsets A and B of X containing p such that A is open in tau1, B is open in tau2, and the intersection of A and B is a subset of W.

If (X, tau1) has a countable local base at a point p in X, then under what conditions does (X, tau) have a countable local base at p?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am truly at a total loss on how to do this. I've been messing around with this problem for a long time and am just not seeing the solutions. At this point, I honestly don't have any work worth showing. I don't know if I'm just having a brain meltdown right now or if this is an unexpectedly hard problem.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted