Proving the Convergence of a Geometric Series with a Tricky Sum Equation

In summary, the sum of the first 5 terms of a geometric series is twice that of the sum of the 6th to 15th term inclusive. The first term of the series is one, so this series is just 1+ r+ r2+ r3+ ... for some r.
misogynisticfeminist
I've got a problem here...

A geometric series has first term 1,the sum of the first 5 terms is twice that of the sum of the 6th to 15th term inclusive. Prove that [tex] r^5= \frac{1}{2} \sqrt {3-1}[/tex]

What i did was...

[tex] 2s_5=s_{15}-s_5 [/tex]

using the formula for the sum of a GS, i got...

[tex] 2r^4 -1 =r^{14} -r^4 [/tex]

and things when downhill from there.

I've tried expressing it in terms of x^5 because the answer seems to suggest the quadratic formula. But i don't seem to be getting anywhere. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, it may be me with a wrong calculation, or is it the answer wrong?
Anyway, I'll give you a hint:
[tex]A_1 = 1[/tex]
[tex]A_n = r ^ {n - 1}[/tex]
So [itex]A_6 = ?[/itex]
If you assume [itex]A_6[/itex] the first term of another geometric series, with the same r, can you find the sum of the first 10 terms (6th - 15th)?
Viet dao,

Last edited:
A few things. Is that 3-1? Or, as I like to call it, 2? Also, the formula for the sum of a geometric series, from r^n to r^m is (r^(m+1) - r^n)/(r-1). And finally, didn't you say the sum of first set was twice the sum of the second? Because it looks like you have that backwards in your equation.

The first term is one so this series is just 1+ r+ r2+ r3+ ... for some r.
The sum of the first five terms is [tex]\frac{1-r^6}{1-r}[/tex] and the sum of the "6th to 15th term" is "sum of first 15 terms minus sum of first 5 terms":
[tex]\frac{1-r^{16}}{1-r}-\frac{1-r^6}{1-r}= \frac{r^6-r^16}{1-r}[/tex].
We are told that "sum of the first 5 terms is twice that of the sum of the 6th to 15th term" so solve the equation [tex]\frac{1-r^6}{1-r}= \frac{r^6-r^16}{1-r}[/tex]. Solve that for r5.

I think those powers should be 5 and 15. The fifth term of the series is r^4. And the actual answer has the 1 outside the radical, but still multiplied by 1/2.

Isn't this the sum of the first 5 terms:
[tex]S_5 = 1 + r + r^2 + r^3 + r^4 = \frac{r^5 - 1}{r - 1}[/tex]
Or this:
[tex]S_5 = 1 + r + r^2 + r^3 + r^4 + r^5= \frac{r^6 - 1}{r - 1}[/tex]?
Viet Dao,

StatusX said:
I think those powers should be 5 and 15. The fifth term of the series is r^4. And the actual answer has the 1 outside the radical, but still multiplied by 1/2.

I agree with this. Is the negative solution invalid? I don't see why it would be. There is no reason why the series has to converge for infinite n.

[tex]
r^5 = \frac{{ \pm \sqrt 3 - 1}}{2} \ \ ??
[/tex]

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a type of mathematical series in which each term is multiplied by a fixed number, known as the common ratio, to get the next term. For example, in the series 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, the common ratio is 2 and each term is multiplied by 2 to get the next term.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is S = a(1 - r^n)/(1 - r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series. Alternatively, you can also use the formula S = a(r^n - 1)/(r - 1) if r does not equal 1.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series is the fixed number that each term is multiplied by to get the next term. It is usually represented by the variable r and is a crucial factor in determining the behavior of a geometric series.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a finite number of terms, while an infinite geometric series has an infinite number of terms. In a finite series, the terms approach a certain value as the number of terms increases. In an infinite series, the terms continue to increase or decrease without approaching a specific value.

5. How is a geometric series used in real life?

Geometric series have many applications in real life, such as compound interest in finance, population growth in biology, and radioactive decay in physics. They are also used in computer algorithms and in calculating the lengths of musical notes in music theory.