Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A giant catfish that ate a dog dead

1. Jul 25, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2003 #2
    Are there any photos available for this fish?

4. Jul 25, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jul 25, 2003 #4
    Thanks !

That sad looking puppy was just adorable. This gives me an idea for opening a bait shop.

[edit]
    I read this at the link with the photos;

"But yesterday the scaly monster was found dead, washed up at the edge of the lake. "

I don't remember catfish having scales [?]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2003
  6. Jul 26, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Thanks !

Only when they weigh as much as this one did. :wink:

OK that was really bad but I'm posting it anyway.

7. Jul 27, 2003 #6
    As long as we're telling fish stories...

Let me see if I remember the monster catfish I caught in Lake Havasu City (it was the largest fresh water fish I ever snagged);
    It was a 'mud-cat' just shy of three feet long and weighed (if I remember) 7.5 pounds. I caught it with a waterdog using 5 lb line. It took about 15 minutes to land and had a mouth big enough to swallow an 18 incher me amigo had caught.

It was a memorable event for me, yippee!!

8. Jul 27, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: As long as we're telling fish stories...

Here is my best fish story. We used to take the 24 and 36 hour charters out of Long Beach [Ca] Harbor. We were always after Albacore, or Blue Fin tuna, but often you only get Cod, Bass, Benita and the like. If you hit tuna, you hit sharks; typically blue sharks, but also thresher sharks, tigers, and sometimes even Great Whites ranging from 3 to 8…to 20 feet in the case of the Great White. One as large as in the movie Jaws was caught just off Catalina Island! Geez! I’ve swam there before! On one trip we had some guy land an 8 foot blue shark and bring it on board. The tails are worth something. This thing had lain on the deck for an hour or so, in the sun, and after being shot in the head with a 410 gauge shotgun. I was a curious 13 or so and wanted a close look. As I got real close to his face, the stinking thing swung around and nearly got my leg. It was really a close one. He missed by very little. One bite would have done it. I guess they can live quite a while like this. Of course by this time all of the old guys were drunk and no one bothered to tell me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?