A giant catfish that ate a dog dead

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a giant catfish that ate a dog and terrorized a German lake for years has washed up dead, but the legend of "Kuno the Killer" lives on.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
" A giant catfish that ate a dog and terrorized a German lake for years has washed up dead, but the legend of "Kuno the Killer" lives on."

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/07/25/offbeat.catfish.reut/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Are there any photos available for this fish?

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003341019,00.html

Thanks !

That sad looking puppy was just adorable. This gives me an idea for opening a bait shop.

[edit]
I read this at the link with the photos;

"But yesterday the scaly monster was found dead, washed up at the edge of the lake. "

I don't remember catfish having scales [?]

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I don't remember catfish having scales [?]

Only when they weigh as much as this one did. :wink:

OK that was really bad but I'm posting it anyway.

As long as we're telling fish stories...

Let me see if I remember the monster catfish I caught in Lake Havasu City (it was the largest fresh water fish I ever snagged);
It was a 'mud-cat' just shy of three feet long and weighed (if I remember) 7.5 pounds. I caught it with a waterdog using 5 lb line. It took about 15 minutes to land and had a mouth big enough to swallow an 18 incher me amigo had caught.

It was a memorable event for me, yippee!

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Let me see if I remember the monster catfish I caught in Lake Havasu City (it was the largest fresh water fish I ever snagged);
It was a 'mud-cat' just shy of three feet long and weighed (if I remember) 7.5 pounds. I caught it with a waterdog using 5 lb line. It took about 15 minutes to land and had a mouth big enough to swallow an 18 incher me amigo had caught.

It was a memorable event for me, yippee!

Here is my best fish story. We used to take the 24 and 36 hour charters out of Long Beach [Ca] Harbor. We were always after Albacore, or Blue Fin tuna, but often you only get Cod, Bass, Benita and the like. If you hit tuna, you hit sharks; typically blue sharks, but also thresher sharks, tigers, and sometimes even Great Whites ranging from 3 to 8…to 20 feet in the case of the Great White. One as large as in the movie Jaws was caught just off Catalina Island! Geez! I’ve swam there before! On one trip we had some guy land an 8 foot blue shark and bring it on board. The tails are worth something. This thing had lain on the deck for an hour or so, in the sun, and after being shot in the head with a 410 gauge shotgun. I was a curious 13 or so and wanted a close look. As I got real close to his face, the stinking thing swung around and nearly got my leg. It was really a close one. He missed by very little. One bite would have done it. I guess they can live quite a while like this. Of course by this time all of the old guys were drunk and no one bothered to tell me!

1. What is a giant catfish?

A giant catfish is a species of catfish that can grow to extraordinary sizes. They are typically found in large rivers and lakes and can weigh over 200 pounds.

2. Can a catfish really eat a dog?

Yes, some larger species of catfish have been known to prey on small mammals, including dogs. However, this is not a common occurrence and is more likely to happen in areas where the catfish population is overabundant and food sources are scarce.

3. How big does a catfish have to be to eat a dog?

The size of a catfish needed to eat a dog would depend on the size of the dog. However, in general, a catfish would need to be at least 3-4 feet long to be able to consume a small dog.

4. Is a giant catfish dangerous to humans?

In most cases, a giant catfish is not considered dangerous to humans. They are not aggressive and typically only pose a threat to small animals that they can easily prey on. However, it is important to always use caution when swimming or fishing in areas known to have large catfish populations.

5. What should I do if I encounter a giant catfish that has eaten a dog?

If you come across a giant catfish that has eaten a dog, it is important to stay away and not try to approach or handle the catfish. Contact local authorities or a wildlife agency to report the incident and they will be able to handle the situation appropriately.