1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A golf ball of mass 46 g is struck a blow by a club

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    A golf ball of mass 46 g is struck a blow by a club....

Hi,
    I've been going through some past exam papers for the physics paper I'm doing (I got my exam tomorrow), and I came across this question:

A golf ball of mass 46 g is struck a blow by a club such that the impulse imparted to the ball makes an angle of 25˚ with the horizontal. The ball lands 200 m away on a level fairway, bouncing inelastically off the fair way at an angle of 20˚ for a second 10 m hop and successively moving on until it comes to rest. Assume air resistance is negligible and ignore any effects due to spin in what follows below.

(a) If the golf club and ball are in contact for 7.0 ms, determine the average force of impact

I can't seem to work out how to get the answer, I'm thinking it's got to do with impulse and projectile motion... yet... I am totally lost. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Impulse is the integral of force over the time interval that force is applied. The average force is the total impulse divided by the time interval. The impulse is equal to the change in momentum of the ball due to that force, which you can calculate from the launch angle and the initial distance to landing.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  4. Jun 17, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your quick reply OlderDan! I think I know what you are saying... Is the following correct?

So is this calculation correct:
    from
    [itex]R=\frac{v^2sin2\theta}g[/itex]

[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{Rg}{sin2\theta}}[/itex]

so v = (200*9.8/sin50)^(1/2)
    v = 50.582 m/s

[itex]J=P_f - P_i = m(v_f - v_i)[/itex]
    so

J = 0.046(50.582 - 0)
    J = 2.3268

[itex]F_{av} = \frac{J}{{\Delta}t}[/itex]

F = 2.3268/(7*10^-3)
    F = 332.396 N

Edit: Messed up Unit conversion! XD

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  5. Jun 17, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks OK to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?