1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Golf swing's force

1. Jan 17, 2009 #1
    In a typical golf swing, the club is in contact with the ball for about 0.0011 s. If the 45 g ball acquires a speed of 63 m/s, estimate the magnitude of the force exerted by the club on the ball.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are your thoughts on the problem? What have you tried thus far?

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    i was trying mv^2/t
    i think its actually mv^2/ t^2

5. Jan 17, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, neither of these are correct; why do you think so? You are given m, t, and the speed of the ball after impact; you need to first identify the speed of the ball before impact, then find the average force of impact, using the proper equation that relates force with mass, speed, and time. What is that equation?

6. Jan 17, 2009 #5
    i worked backwards with the anwser i was given but i messed up and put a divid sign in there

the eqution i got was mv^2t^2
    but i have some doubts about the anwser.

7. Jan 17, 2009 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Jan 17, 2009 #7
  9. Feb 13, 2010 #8
    I think we have to check the whether before we start the game. Working backwards may work. i didn't try it.

10. Feb 13, 2010 #9
    yeah, you just have to try and relate acceleration to speed and time and then acceleration to force

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?