A good bachelor project problem in classical field theory

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Frederik is seeking suggestions for a problem or subject for his bachelor project in physics, which will focus on the classical theory of fields, including General Relativity and Electrodynamics. Based on his background in mathematics and exposure to E&M and Special Relativity, potential areas of exploration could include the interplay between gravity and electromagnetism in curved spacetime, the variational principle approach, or specific aspects of General Relativity. Ultimately, the best advice is to choose a topic that interests and inspires Frederik.
FrederikPhysics
Hey,

I am about to do my bachelor project in physics and I really want to dive into the classical theory of fields, this could be General Relativity (GR) and/or Electrodynamics (ED). I have some books on the subject: Barut, ED and classical theory of fields and particles, and Landau&Lifshitz, The classical theory of fields.

I am seeking some problem/subject that my project can revolve around. Any suggestions?

I am a physicist with all my optional courses in mathematics. I have had 2 courses on E&M/ED, one course on Special Relativity and no exposure of GR. This summer I did a good amount of research on the variational principle approach to electrodynamics by following L.Susskinds lectures on SR and read the basics of Goldstein Classical Mechanics.

Vh. Frederik.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Frederik,

First of all, congratulations on choosing such a fascinating and challenging topic for your bachelor project! The classical theory of fields, including General Relativity and Electrodynamics, is a vast and complex subject with many interesting avenues for exploration.

Based on your background in mathematics and exposure to E&M and Special Relativity, I would suggest focusing on a problem that combines elements of both these fields. One idea could be to investigate the classical theory of electromagnetic waves in curved spacetime, which is a key concept in both GR and ED. This would allow you to explore the interplay between gravity and electromagnetism, and how they affect the propagation of light.

Another possibility could be to delve into the mathematical formalism of the classical theory of fields, particularly the variational principle approach that you have already researched. You could explore the historical development of this approach and its applications to different physical systems, such as electromagnetic fields and gravitational fields.

Alternatively, you could choose to focus specifically on General Relativity and investigate a specific aspect or application of this theory. For example, you could study the classical tests of GR, such as the precession of Mercury's orbit or the deflection of light by massive objects, and explore their implications for our understanding of gravity.

Overall, my advice would be to choose a problem or subject that truly interests you and that you feel passionate about exploring further. The classical theory of fields is a vast and fascinating field of study, and I am sure that with your background and enthusiasm, you will find a project that will challenge and inspire you.

Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a good topic for a bachelor project in classical field theory?

A good topic for a bachelor project in classical field theory would be one that is specific, relevant, and feasible. It should also be a topic that interests the student and has not been extensively studied before. Some examples could include investigating the behavior of non-linear field equations, studying the effects of boundary conditions on field theories, or exploring the implications of symmetries in classical field theories.

2. How do I come up with a unique problem for my bachelor project?

In order to come up with a unique problem for your bachelor project, it is important to do thorough research and familiarize yourself with the current state of the field. Look for gaps or unanswered questions in existing literature, and consider how you can contribute to filling those gaps. You can also consult with your advisor or other experts in the field for suggestions and ideas.

3. What are some important considerations when choosing a problem for a bachelor project in classical field theory?

When choosing a problem for a bachelor project in classical field theory, it is important to consider the scope of the project, the availability of resources and data, and your own interests and strengths. It is also important to choose a problem that is well-defined and can be solved within the given timeframe. Additionally, it is important to consider the potential impact and relevance of the problem in the field of classical field theory.

4. How can I ensure that my bachelor project problem is feasible?

To ensure that your bachelor project problem is feasible, it is important to start by clearly defining the problem and setting realistic goals and objectives. You should also consider the availability of resources, such as data, equipment, and expertise, that are necessary to complete the project. Additionally, it is important to regularly communicate with your advisor and receive feedback to ensure that your project is on track and feasible within the given timeframe.

5. What are some potential benefits of completing a bachelor project in classical field theory?

Completing a bachelor project in classical field theory can have numerous benefits for a student. It allows for hands-on experience with conducting scientific research and developing problem-solving skills. It also provides an opportunity to contribute to the field and potentially make a meaningful impact. Additionally, the completion of a successful bachelor project can serve as a strong foundation for further studies or a career in the field of classical field theory.