Is there a good book for beginners in quantum optics and photon statistics?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a good book on quantum optics, specifically on the subject of photon statistics. A few suggestions are mentioned, including Loudon's book and Mandl and Wolf's "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics". It is noted that this book may be more suitable for someone with a background in classical optics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Another book by Meystre and Sergant is also recommended for learning quantum optics.
Baggio
Hi,

I just started my PhD in quantum optics/QIP and I was wondering if anyoen knew of a good book on quantum optics that explains things well especially the subject of photon statistics.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Loudon's book is wonderful, but there are a few others such as Wolfe (I believe) that seem to be staples in most AMO offices.

Baggio said:
Hi,

I just started my PhD in quantum optics/QIP and I was wondering if anyoen knew of a good book on quantum optics that explains things well especially the subject of photon statistics.

I think the undeniable bible is Mandl and Wolf "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics".

It is to quantum optics what Jackson is to electromagnetism.

vanesch said:
I think the undeniable bible is Mandl and Wolf "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics".

It is to quantum optics what Jackson is to electromagnetism.

Yes I've heard of that book, would you say it's suitable for someone new to the field though?

Meystre and Sergant is a good book to learn from. Anyt text written by Pierre Meystre will be invaluable when it comes to Quantum Optics.

Mandl and Wolf if it is anything like Born and Wolf will not be good to learn from, but a great reference when you have some background in the field.

Baggio said:
Yes I've heard of that book, would you say it's suitable for someone new to the field though?

You need to be solid in classical optics, in classical EM, in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, and some basic understanding of QED (the canonical approach will do).

A large part (the first part) of the book is concerned with "classical statistical optics", the second part is quantum-mechanical.

1. What is Quantum Optics?

Quantum Optics is the study of the interactions between light and matter at a quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism to understand the behavior of light and its interaction with atoms and molecules.

2. Why is Quantum Optics important?

Quantum Optics has many practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, data encryption, and quantum computing. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental properties of light and matter, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

3. What are some key concepts in Quantum Optics?

Some key concepts in Quantum Optics include photonics, quantum states, entanglement, and quantum measurement. These concepts help us to understand the behavior of light and its interactions with matter at a quantum level.

4. How is Quantum Optics related to other fields of science?

Quantum Optics is closely related to other fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and atomic physics. It also has applications in fields like chemistry, biology, and engineering.

5. Can you recommend a good book on Quantum Optics?

Yes, "Quantum Optics" by Mark Fox is an excellent book that covers the fundamental principles and applications of Quantum Optics in a clear and comprehensive manner. Other recommended books include "Principles of Optics" by Max Born and Emil Wolf, and "Introduction to Quantum Optics" by Grynberg, Aspect, and Fabre.