Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A good book on Quantum Optics

1. Nov 24, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I just started my PhD in quantum optics/QIP and I was wondering if anyoen knew of a good book on quantum optics that explains things well especially the subject of photon statistics.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2006 #2
    I think Loudon's book is wonderful, but there are a few others such as Wolfe (I believe) that seem to be staples in most AMO offices.

4. Nov 24, 2006 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the undeniable bible is Mandl and Wolf "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics".

It is to quantum optics what Jackson is to electromagnetism.

5. Nov 24, 2006 #4
    Yes I've heard of that book, would you say it's suitable for someone new to the field though?

6. Nov 24, 2006 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Meystre and Sergant is a good book to learn from. Anyt text written by Pierre Meystre will be invaluable when it comes to Quantum Optics.

Mandl and Wolf if it is anything like Born and Wolf will not be good to learn from, but a great reference when you have some background in the field.

7. Nov 25, 2006 #6

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be solid in classical optics, in classical EM, in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, and some basic understanding of QED (the canonical approach will do).

A large part (the first part) of the book is concerned with "classical statistical optics", the second part is quantum-mechanical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?