1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A good book on vectors?

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    I want to learn about vectors and their interactions from a more rigorous viewpoint. Things like the cross product for example are covered very superficially in the textbooks I've looked at.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2
    What do you mean? I learned about dot products and cross products in linear algebra. A textbook on that maybe? Or perhaps a book on vector calculus.

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    I just mean that I want to study things like the vector product in more detail.

Okay, I'll take a look into some linear algebra books and a couple vector calculus books here and there.

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
  6. Apr 27, 2012 #5
    The notion of "product" and of "vector" can appear in many contexts. In your journey of learning you will find out which contexts are more appealing to you.

As suggested above, two elementary contexts in which these two notions appear are Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus. Any textbook treats these subjects will be a good resource for you. Which textbook to choose is a matter of taste and also the level of knowledge you already have.

My personal preference for linear algebra is Kunze and Hoffman text titled "Linear Algebra". Inner products (The generalization of dot product) are treated in chapter 8. The text is a bit abstract but clear and accessible to undergraduates.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook