A good C++ compiler for windows 8

In summary: Visual Studio 2013 Express for free", it would help us to know what you are using it for and if it's still "not working any non Microsoft suggestions?"
Superposed_Cat
I've tried downloaded three different compilers for c++ and none of them work, I have visual studio 2010 but c++ won't work on it. If someone could provide a link to a c++ plugin for it I would be soooo grateful. But anything is appreciated as long as it's free.

Technology news on Phys.org
I've used C++ with VS2010 without issue. Can you describe what the problem is?

It won't compile it says c++ is too old. I have an illegal version, I don't pay for software, can't afford it.

still not working any non Microsoft suggestions?

Superposed_Cat said:
I don't pay for software, can't afford it.

MS Visual studio express is free, and supports C++ (or to be pedantic, it supports MS's version of the language). http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2013-express

If you just say "I downloaded 3 compilers and none of them work", without even telling us which three compilers or what error messages you got, do you really expect to get any meaningful help here?

Some people here might be able to do computer tech support by ESP, but we don''t do it for free :biggrin:

I downloaded and install MinGW a few weeks ago, works like a charm.

You didn't mention what operating system you're running. Visual Studio 2012 and later requires Windows 7 or later. I think Visual Studio 2010 can run on Windows XP.

rcgldr said:
You didn't mention what operating system you're running.

The thread title says Windows 8.

jtbell said:
The thread title says Windows 8.
Sorry for the brain fade. I was posting a response to a similar thread at another forum, where the guy was having problems during install, but did not specify what OS he had. That issue was trying to install VS2012 express with Windows XP, where an error message didn't show up until part way through the install (is this fixed yet?). He was concerned about how to remove any stuff generated during the failed install.

dev, vs2010 and I don't rerember the third.

Superposed_Cat said:
still not working any non Microsoft suggestions?
Install Ubuntu on a separate disk partition in dual-boot mode. Ubuntu comes with the g++ compiler installed. Everything is free.

my laptop only has 4gb left and I can't afford an external right now.

The question is, what are you going to use the compiler for, and what does "good" really mean.

We still don't know what it means "doesn't work".

Won't work full stop. as soon as I press the compile button the thing crashes with a an out of date message.

You are being very vague about what you are doing, and what is going wrong. You're not going to get help that way.

Are you still trying to use your stolen compiler? If so, stop it and try the legal alternatives that have been suggested to you.

Vanadium 50 said:
You are being very vague about what you are doing, and what is going wrong. You're not going to get help that way.

Are you still trying to use your stolen compiler? If so, stop it and try the legal alternatives that have been suggested to you.

How am I being vauge? It doesn't matter what I try to compile the ide crashes, not my program. they all look very old despite me searching specifically searching for windows 8 ones.

that is literally perfect but it's massive. is there nothing more compact? I know I am being finicky sorry.

Superposed_Cat said:
I've tried downloaded three different compilers for c++ and none of them work, I have visual studio 2010 but c++ won't work on it. If someone could provide a link to a c++ plugin for it I would be soooo grateful. But anything is appreciated as long as it's free.

Vanadium 50 said:

Superposed_Cat said:
How am I being vauge? It doesn't matter what I try to compile the ide crashes, not my program. they all look very old despite me searching specifically searching for windows 8 ones.
You've told us that you have downloaded three compilers and none of them "works", but gave no details about what this means until we asked. What we know now is that your pirated copy of Visual Studio 2010 is outdated or installed incorrectly or something. You didn't provide any details about why the other two compilers don't work. When you describe a software product as not working, without any details of what that means, you can't expect someone else to be able to diagnose the problem and offer a solution. That's what we mean by being vague.

Several possible compilers were suggested, but you said your laptop's disk drive had only 4 GB left, and you didn't have any money for another drive. Since the three compilers you currently have aren't working, I suggest uninstalling them, which should free up some space on your disk drive. Also, uninstall any other applications that you aren't using, as well as pictures and games and whatever stuff you have stored that you don't really need and is cluttering up your drive. After you clean things out, it would be a good idea to defrag your disk so that it has lots of contiguous space.

Superposed_Cat said:
that is literally perfect but it's massive. is there nothing more compact? I know I am being finicky sorry.

MS VS 13 Express for Windows Desktop requires less than 4 Gb. MS VS 13 Express for Windows (i.e., the start screen apps) requires just half of that. I would not call that massive these days.

You said your PC has only 4 Gb left. Since you are looking for something that works for Windows 8, your system clearly supports it, so it is at least reasonably modern and so it must have an HDD with a capacity upward of 100 Gb. If all that remains of that is 4 Gb, then I say: kill a few gigs of junk and be done with that. Start by checking your download and temp directories.

The majority is lectures I still have to watch, ill watch those then delete them and download vs 2012, until then I am using an online compiler. Thanks for all your help guys.

voko said:
If all that remains of that is 4 Gb, then I say: kill a few gigs of junk and be done with that. Start by checking your download and temp directories.

Start by emptying the recycle bin. Then, what voko said.

Mark44 said:
You've told us that you have downloaded three compilers and none of them "works", but gave no details about what this means until we asked. What we know now is that your pirated copy of Visual Studio 2010 is outdated or installed incorrectly or something. You didn't provide any details about why the other two compilers don't work. When you describe a software product as not working, without any details of what that means, you can't expect someone else to be able to diagnose the problem and offer a solution. That's what we mean by being vague.
Not to be rude but I didn't ask for a diagnosis, this thread was about getting a new compiler but thanks anyway.
Several possible compilers were suggested, but you said your laptop's disk drive had only 4 GB left, and you didn't have any money for another drive. Since the three compilers you currently have aren't working, I suggest uninstalling them, which should free up some space on your disk drive. Also, uninstall any other applications that you aren't using, as well as pictures and games and whatever stuff you have stored that you don't really need and is cluttering up your drive. After you clean things out,
I had already uninstalled the compilers.
it would be a good idea to defrag your disk so that it has lots of contiguous space.
I always defrag

AlephZero said:
Start by emptying the recycle bin. Then, what voko said.
I always empty the recycle bin.

As I have found a good one there is no need to keep posting replies. Thanks everyone for all your help have a nice day. :smile:

Superposed_Cat said:
Not to be rude but I didn't ask for a diagnosis, this thread was about getting a new compiler but thanks anyway.
How else were we to respond to your questions? At each step we answered your questions to the best of our abilities, based on the scant information that you provided. If you pose a vaguely described problem to a bunch of scientists and engineers, you are most likely going to be asked a lot of questions to clarify the problem, and will probably get a diagnosis. After suggesting several compilers, you said that you didn't have room on your hard drive, so we made some suggestions how you might make some room on it.
Superposed_Cat said:
I had already uninstalled the compilers.
You didn't tell us this. If you had, we wouldn't have suggested it.
Superposed_Cat said:
I always defrag
You didn't mention this either.
Superposed_Cat said:
I always empty the recycle bin.
Also not mentioned.
Superposed_Cat said:
As I have found a good one there is no need to keep posting replies. Thanks everyone for all your help have a nice day. :smile:

Thread closed.

1. What is the best C++ compiler for Windows 8?

The best C++ compiler for Windows 8 is subjective and depends on individual preferences. Some popular options include Microsoft Visual Studio, MinGW, and Code::Blocks.

2. Is there a free C++ compiler for Windows 8?

Yes, there are several free C++ compilers available for Windows 8, such as MinGW, Code::Blocks, and Dev-C++.

3. Can I use the same C++ compiler for both Windows and other operating systems?

Yes, there are cross-platform C++ compilers available, such as GCC and Clang, that can be used for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

4. What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit C++ compilers for Windows 8?

The main difference between 32-bit and 64-bit C++ compilers is their memory usage. 64-bit compilers can access more memory, making them more suitable for handling large programs or data. However, 32-bit compilers may be more compatible with older systems.

5. How do I choose the right C++ compiler for my needs?

When choosing a C++ compiler, consider factors such as your programming experience, the features you need, and your budget. It is also helpful to research the compatibility of the compiler with your specific project or framework.