Proving b>(m+1)^2 for Perfect Square Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding and clarifications of a problem involving a condition where m^2<a<b and a*b is a perfect square. The term TPT is also discussed, which stands for "To Prove True". The conversation also includes a hint for solving the problem and a question about creating mathematical symbols in posts.
Aditya89
If m^2<a<b, & a*b=a perfect square, TPT: b>(m+1)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
a*b=a means a is zero or b=1?? This is surely not what you mean?

What does TPT mean? "To Prove True"?

Huh, on furthur reflection I guess "& a*b=a perfect square" means "and a*b is a perfect square".

Is this a homework problem? In case it is, just a simple hint for now- treat the cases where "a" is a perfect square and "a" is not a perfect square seperately.

I've understood the trouble... and I've got my picture but I think that I can't explain in a simple way... in sense that I'm not able to make it easy...

Sorry for the confusion!

Sorry, a*b= k^2, k belongs to the naturals. Not that a*b=a. Really sorry!
Thanks for the hint, Shmoe! I may be clser to the solution by an another method. I'll let you know if I get it. BTW, TPT is "to prove that". :wink:

Hey does anybody know how to create mathematical symbols while posting?

THnigs like [tex]ab=k^2, k \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]?

Try looking up the LaTeX sticky post in the physics section. Or trying seraching the site using the search function for such "frequently asked questions"

What is the purpose of proving b>(m+1)^2 for Perfect Square Conditions?

The purpose of proving this statement is to show that for any value of b, there exists a value of m such that b is greater than the square of m+1. This is an important concept in number theory and has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

What does it mean for a number to be a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be expressed as the product of two equal integers. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it can be written as 3x3. In other words, it is the square of a whole number.

How can we prove that b>(m+1)^2 for Perfect Square Conditions?

This statement can be proved using mathematical induction. We start by showing that the statement is true for a base case, usually m=1. Then, we assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary value of m (known as the inductive hypothesis) and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for m+1. This process is repeated for all values of m, proving the statement for all possible cases.

What are some real-life applications of proving b>(m+1)^2 for Perfect Square Conditions?

This statement has practical uses in fields such as cryptography, where prime numbers and perfect squares are used to create secure codes. It also has applications in computer science, where understanding perfect squares and their properties can help with optimizing algorithms and data structures.

Are there any other important properties related to perfect squares that can be proven?

Yes, there are many other important properties related to perfect squares that can be proven using mathematical techniques. Some examples include the sum and product of two perfect squares, the relationship between perfect squares and prime numbers, and the number of perfect squares within a given range of numbers.