Calculating Projectile Height: 30 Degrees vs. 60 Degrees

• Thread starter HadanIdea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: So, let's do the summary then.In summary, the projectile launched at a 60 degree angle will reach a maximum height that is 3 times higher than if it were launched at a 30 degree angle. This is due to the vertical velocity being √3 times larger and the time taken to reach maximum height being √3 times longer. Therefore, the overall travel time and distance will also be √3 times longer.
HadanIdea
Hi,

How does one prove that a projectile will shoot 3x higher at 60 degrees that at 30 degrees?

And there is no more info available.

Here is what i attempted:

I gave it 500m/s,

1a.) The formula for maximum time @ 60 degrees: th = (u)(Sin60)/9.8
= (500)(Sin60)/9.8
= 44.185's

2a.) The formula for maximum height @ 60 degrees: h = (u)(t) + (1/2)(a)[(t)"squared"]
= (500)(44.185) + (1/2)(9.8)[(44.185)"squared"]
= 31658.8397m (31.659km)

1b.) The formula for maximum time @ 30 degrees: th = (u)(Sin30)/9.8
= (500)(Sin30)/9.8
= 25.510's

2b.) The formula for maximum height @ 30 degrees: h = (u)(t) + (1/2)(a)[(t)"squared"]
= (500)(25.510) + (1/2)(9.8)[(25.510)"squared"]
= 15943m (15.944km)

3a.) Now if i divide height of 60 degrees with the height of 30 degrees
I get 31658.8397m / 15943m = 1.986 times the height and not 3x the height

Did i do it right or am i looking at it in a wrong way?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is fine. It must be the calculations. I would suggest doing it with variables instead of specific values - that way you don't make errors calculating.

EDIT : I noticed you are using value of u as 500m/s in the distance equations. That is incorrect - you must use the upward value of velocity, which is u*sin*theta (theta = initial angle).

Welcome to PF!

Hi HadanIdea! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Nobody asked you for t, so why are you bothering to find it??

Use another constant acceleration equation, that doesn't involve t ! :wink:

In equations 2a. and 2b. in the OP, you use the initial velocity of 500 m/s in calculating the max. height of the projectile. This is incorrect. You must use only the vertical component of the initial velocity in calculating the max. height of the projectile.

Don't put in sample numbers at an early stage; look at the big picture first and find proportionalities.

Let "_v" denote vertical, "_h" denote horizontal components, "∝" means "is proportional to"

Decompose momentum
p =: p_v + p_h,

consider Energies
V ~ mgh => V ∝ h
T = p²/2m

and think about
- if g affects p_h
- how to decompose T into T_v and T_h
- and think about p_v and T_v at the top of the trajectory.

Last edited:
HadanIdea,

My 2 cents advice is to heed tiny-tim's 2 dollar advice!

HadanIdea said:
Hi,

How does one prove that a projectile will shoot 3x higher at 60 degrees that at 30 degrees?

And there is no more info available.

Here is what i attempted:

I gave it 500m/s,

1a.) The formula for maximum time @ 60 degrees: th = (u)(Sin60)/9.8
= (500)(Sin60)/9.8
= 44.185's

2a.) The formula for maximum height @ 60 degrees: h = (u)(t) + (1/2)(a)[(t)"squared"]
= (500)(44.185) + (1/2)(9.8)[(44.185)"squared"]
= 31658.8397m (31.659km)

1b.) The formula for maximum time @ 30 degrees: th = (u)(Sin30)/9.8
= (500)(Sin30)/9.8
= 25.510's

2b.) The formula for maximum height @ 30 degrees: h = (u)(t) + (1/2)(a)[(t)"squared"]
= (500)(25.510) + (1/2)(9.8)[(25.510)"squared"]
= 15943m (15.944km)

3a.) Now if i divide height of 60 degrees with the height of 30 degrees
I get 31658.8397m / 15943m = 1.986 times the height and not 3x the height

Did i do it right or am i looking at it in a wrong way?

Regards

When resolving the 30 degree - 60 degree launch angles, you will be resolving the launch speed using the familiar 2-1-√3 triangle.

This shows that , compared to a 30 degree launch, the vertical speed is larger by a factor of √3.

That means the average vertical velocity before reaching maximum height is higher by a factor of √3.
The time taken to slow to 0 vertical velocity is also up by a factor of √3

So you travel at √3 x the speed for √3 x the time.

What result will that give?

PeterO said:
When resolving the 30 degree - 60 degree launch angles, you will be resolving the launch speed using the familiar 2-1-√3 triangle.

This shows that , compared to a 30 degree launch, the vertical speed is larger by a factor of √3.

That means the average vertical velocity before reaching maximum height is higher by a factor of √3.
The time taken to slow to 0 vertical velocity is also up by a factor of √3

So you travel at √3 x the speed for √3 x the time.

What result will that give?

Nice. :cool:

What is a good projectile question?

A good projectile question is one that involves the motion of an object through space, typically in a parabolic path. It should also involve factors such as velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

Why is it important to ask a good projectile question?

Asking a good projectile question can help us better understand the laws of motion and how objects behave in the physical world. It can also help us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

What are some examples of good projectile questions?

Some examples of good projectile questions include: What is the optimal angle for a soccer player to kick a ball to score a goal? How far will a golf ball travel when hit at different velocities? How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a rocket?

What steps can I take to create a good projectile question?

To create a good projectile question, you should first identify the variables involved, such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. Then, you can use mathematical equations and principles of physics to analyze and solve the question.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when asking a projectile question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when asking a projectile question include not considering all the relevant variables, using incorrect equations or assumptions, and not clearly defining the problem. It is important to be precise and specific in your question to get accurate results.