• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A goverment physicist?

• Physics
  • Thread starter Rhine720
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So I've been reading around alot and from what I've gathered The job pool for engineers pay more, but my real passion was for physics and research. So I read more.

My questions are, what is government research? When people say they want to do research does that mean strictly for government or is that personal research or a mixed both? Seeing as how no matter where I read that getting places with a PHD in Physics is rough i came to figure that doing research for the government would be a safe bet, plus getting be on the edge of new research. Can someone give me a little more information? Thanks =]

Answers and Replies

So I've been reading around alot and from what I've gathered The job pool for engineers pay more, but my real passion was for physics and research. So I read more.

My questions are, what is government research? When people say they want to do research does that mean strictly for government or is that personal research or a mixed both? Seeing as how no matter where I read that getting places with a PHD in Physics is rough i came to figure that doing research for the government would be a safe bet, plus getting be on the edge of new research. Can someone give me a little more information? Thanks =]
Here is just one possible opportunity for you: http://www.darpa.mil/