1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A grandfather clock problem.

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The pendulum of a grandfather's clock activates an escapement mechanism every time is passes through the vertical. The escapement is under tension (provided by a hanging weight) and gives the pendulum a small impulse distance l from the pivot. The energy transferred by the impulse compensates for the energy dissipated by friction, so that the pendulum swings with a constant amplitude.

What is the impulse needed to sustain the motion of a pendulum of length L and mass m, with an amplitude of swing [tex]\theta_0[/tex] and quality factor Q?

2. Relevant equations
    Q = (energy stored in oscillator)/(energy lost per radian)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose the oscillator starts with energy E and momentum
    [tex] p_{top} = \sqrt{2mE} [/tex]
    at the top of its swing. The energy lost per quarter period is then
    [tex] E \theta_0 / Q [/tex],
    thus the energy of the oscillator at the bottom of its first swing is
    [tex] E - E \theta_0 / Q = E(1 - \theta_0 / Q) [/tex],
    and the momentum at the bottom of the first swing is
    [tex] p_{bottom} = \sqrt{2 m E(1 - \theta_0 / Q)} [/tex].
    In order for the pendulum to maintain constant amplitude, the impulse I must satisfy:
    [tex] p_{bottom} + I = p_{top} \Rightarrow I = \sqrt{2mE} - \sqrt{2 m E(1 - \theta_0 / Q)} = \sqrt{2mE}(1 - \sqrt{1 - \theta_0 / Q}) [/tex].
    Now the energy of the oscillator is
    [tex] E = mgL(1-cos\theta_0) [/tex],
    and therefore the desired impulse is
    [tex] I = (1 - \sqrt{1 - \theta_0 /Q}) \sqrt{2m^2gL(1 - cos\theta_0)} [/tex].

How's this look? I'm missing the factor l in my solution, which makes me think its wrong. What say you?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted