News A Great Day for Hope in America

drankin

I get such a kick out of Fox and their hallucinations. The fact is that rather than an indictment of Obama's policies, Coakley lost the election because she got her sports teams mixed up. She was leading in the polls by 30 points until she stuck her foot in her mouth.
You are kidding, right? You believe this is the sole reason she lost the election?

You are kidding, right? You believe this is the sole reason she lost the election?
No, also she did not have a truck. Wait ! Maybe she did ?
Ed+Mc+Manus+red+truck+with+large+Martha+Coakley+campaign+sign+at+Harwich+polls..jpg

No, also she did not have a truck.
hahah...

She lost because she is a mindless democrat drone. MA citizens have to looks out for themselves too, it's not just a vote for xyz of the current hot topic bill.

Supercritical

As far as the Cosmo centerfold, we have to remember this was Ted Kennedy's seat.

Ted was an exception for a Kennedy, as he didn't leave a young corpse, but I'm sure Democrats wouldn't have had any problem voting for "sexiest man alive" JFK Jr. were circumstances different.

mheslep

Gold Member
Separate post for broader policy implications. Will the Democrats "double down" and force through whatever they can before Brown is seated (including healthcare) and before the midterm elections in November or will fear of losing their seats force the Democrats to moderate? What may happen is that the Congress moderates while Obama - who faces no re-election for 3 years - will fight to push through his adjenda. Such infighting could make things even worse for the Dems.

For healthcare itself, they could try to slam it through before Brown is seated and I think the additional backlash of that would be truly disastrous for Dems in November.
It appears not, at least not in the Senate. Webb has stepped up.
January 19, 2010

Washington, DC—Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) issued the following statement in response to the special election results in Massachusetts:

“I congratulate Scott Brown on his victory, and I look forward to working with him in the United States Senate.

“In many ways the campaign in Massachusetts became a referendum not only on health care reform but also on the openness and integrity of our government process. It is vital that we restore the respect of the American people in our system of government and in our leaders. To that end, I believe it would only be fair and prudent that we suspend further votes on health care legislation until Senator-elect Brown is seated.”
http://webb.senate.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/2010-01-19-01.cfm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

mheslep

Gold Member
I get such a kick out of Fox and their hallucinations. The fact is that rather than an indictment of Obama's policies, Coakley lost the election because she got her sports teams mixed up. She was leading in the polls by 30 points until she stuck her foot in her mouth.
Corzine (NJ) and Deeds (Va) must have been munching feet too. Dems have ten months until November elections to break the foot habit.

mheslep

Gold Member
People want health care reform, but the healthcare plan the Dems are pushing is deeply flawed. Some components of it are generating real anger, including:...
Add the insurance mandates for everyone.

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Since this thread is about hope for America, I'd like to ask the new (to coin a new phrase) superminority what their hope is for health care. Do you simply wish for the current health care legislation to go away and maintain the status quo or would you be willing to vote for the legislation if Democrats made some compromises? What provisions of the senate bill (since that's the one closest to what Democrats could have passed had they maintained their supermajority) would you want added or removed in order for it to be acceptable?

Since this thread is about hope for America, I'd like to ask the new (to coin a new phrase) superminority what their hope is for health care. Do you simply wish for the current health care legislation to go away and maintain the status quo or would you be willing to vote for the legislation if Democrats made some compromises? What provisions of the senate bill (since that's the one closest to what Democrats could have passed had they maintained their supermajority) would you want added or removed in order for it to be acceptable?
Wanting this current healthcare bill to go away does not mean one wants to maintain the status quo. I would prefer not to vote for this legislation even if "some compromises" were made because it is just too massive of a bill. Way too long for anyone to understand.

IMO the whole entire thing needs to be scrapped. It either needs to be burned or taken and framed in a museum as a classic example of how not to write legislation.

Healthcare is one of those things that is very difficult to compromise on, because the hard Left (who control the Democrat party right now) want government to run and/or control healthcare. They also are owned by the trial lawyers, who will not allow for anything like tort reform.

The problem is the current system does have problems, of which there are ways to fix them, but the Republicans, when they held control, didn't do squat to enact any changes, and then thus the Democrats picked up on this issue as a centerpiece ("The Republicans had years to try fixing healthcare and did no such thing, vote for us and we will enact real change.").

BTW, off-topic, but does your screename come from Bart's sand submarine in Xenogears by any chance? :smile:

Char. Limit

Gold Member
Isn't Yggdrasil the World Tree in the Norse religion?

russ_watters

Mentor
Are you really knocking the fact that one of your news channels is focussing on an international emergency?
Well considering the time sensitivity of the election results, I think they made a bad decision on coverage. But no, the main reason I posted that is typically whenever someone references Foxnews, there is random, off-topic, knee-jerk backlash (as we have seen in this thread...). I wanted people to know I actually intended to get the story from CNN and just wasn't able to because they weren't carrying it at that time.

Today on CNN.com, the election results were the lead and the Hati earthquake was second (and third and fourth).

russ_watters

Mentor
I'm not sure if you are serious about this or not. Are you saying you actually believe that not knowing who Curt Schilling is cost her 35 points? Yeah, it's pretty bad, but do you really think Mass votors are that vapid/superficial?

Char. Limit

Gold Member
There's a reason for that backlash, but that's offtopic, and I even made a poll on that issue, so I won't discuss it here.

Fact is, hopefully this election will knock sense into the Democrats, just as the 2006 election knocked sense into the Republicans.

Political parties should get sense knocked into them
about every five years, from my perspective. Five years for each party.

As to your second message, yes.

russ_watters

Mentor
It appears not, at least not in the Senate. Webb has stepped up.

http://webb.senate.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/2010-01-19-01.cfm [Broken]
USA Today ran an analysis of when he might get seated. 4 of the last 10 times this happened (one of which was Kennedy himself), it was within 48 hours. Most of the rest were several weeks. Legally, it seems reasonable to me that they might wait until the election results are certified, which will probably take about 2 weeks.

The point is, if the democrats want to, they have two weeks to get something done. The senate is probably out of the question, but that doesn't mean the House can't still pass the Senate version of the bill.

I think the current healthcare effort is probably dead, but I am far from certain of that. We'll know more after the state of the union address.

Last edited by a moderator:

russ_watters

Mentor
There are very few people in this country who don't want health care reform. Healthcare is too expensive and getting worse.

Besides the things I already mentioned (and malpractice reform is a biggie for me), I also think insurance rates should do more to reflect risk factors. If you're a bad driver, it is reflected in your insurance rates. If you're an unhealthy person (smoker, drinker, fat, old), it should be better reflected in your health insurance rates. I think businesses should be encouraged to provide healthcare via incentives, not punished for not having (or for having, as is the current plan!) healthcare. Private insurance companies need to be better regulated to encourage competition. Drug companies should not be given extra patent extensions. Importing drugs from Canada should be encouraged to help eliminate price-fixing. Don't punish people for not getting insurance, but don't reward them for it either.

If the flaws in the current system are addressed to reduce and better distribute costs, more people and companies will be able to afford healthcare, mostly getting rid of the lack of insurance issue on its own.

mheslep

Gold Member
I'd also add:
- completely doing away with the employee tax deduction on health care but cutting other taxes to make it revenue neutral. I'd guess this would immediately cut health care costs by a quarter. This is not popular however, so instead allow equivalent tax deductions for private individual health plans, which at least still cuts loose individuals from relying on their employers for health care.
- allow insurance to be sold across state lines.

Al68

Is it really possible we might be spared from this health care plan now? Thanks to Massachusetts? Massachusetts? Really? :confused:

And a Massachusetts Senate race won by a candidate who's entire campaign strategy was "just say NO" to Democrats? Kennedy's seat? Is this April Fool's day?

Never mind, this is obviously a dream. Like the one where I'm married to Halle Berry and Shania Twain.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
It's all Curt Shillings' fault when you get right down to it...

russ_watters

Mentor
And a Massachusetts Senate race won by a candidate who's entire campaign strategy was "just say NO" to Democrats? Kennedy's seat? Is this April Fool's day?
To Democrats in general and to healthcare in particular and that was Kennedy's baby! Preposterous!

Isn't Yggdrasil the World Tree in the Norse religion?
Yes, but it is also the name of a sand submarine in a 1998 RPG videogame named Xenogears. Since science-engineering types are often videogame players, I figured maybe Ygggdrasil took the name from that.

Didn't someone want to name the health care Bill "Teddy Care"?:uhh:

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The problem is the current system does have problems, of which there are ways to fix them, but the Republicans, when they held control, didn't do squat to enact any changes, and then thus the Democrats picked up on this issue as a centerpiece ("The Republicans had years to try fixing healthcare and did no such thing, vote for us and we will enact real change.").
This is the main thing I'm worried about. After health care led to the Republican Revolution in the 1994 midterm elections and looks to do the same in 2010, I'm not sure any future congress or administration will want to tackle health care any time soon. Perhaps we should hope that failing spectacularly at health care reform is only a Democratic trait (assuming the Republicans take a stab at it sometime in the near future). There may be some hope, however, in the fact that Massachusetts enacted universal health care legislation under a Republican governor (Mitt Romney, who was a serious Republican presidential candidate in 2008) that passed with the help of the vote of then state senator Scott Brown (whose senate campaign website states that he supports the 2006 healthcare reform legislation passed in Massachusetts).

BTW, off-topic, but does your screename come from Bart's sand submarine in Xenogears by any chance? :smile:
No, it's actually based off of the tree from Norse mythology (as Char.Limit mentioned). The extra g is there because a username with the correct spelling was already taken and (no offense) I don't like numbers at the end of usernames.

Char. Limit

Gold Member
YES!

Finally, I clearly win an argument on the politics forum!

People, don't confuse the issue with facts.