1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A green function

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is attached in the first picture, the provided solutions are in the second.

3. The attempt at a solution

I got to where they are, but aren't they missing an additional term of sin(t)*cos(∏)*f(∏) from the second integral in dx/dt ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2
  4. Aug 8, 2012 #3
    Ok! I worked it out finally. Will the leibniz rule work if i take 'cos(t)' and 'sin(t)' out of the integral such that the inside of the integral only becomes one variable: ∫-sin(ζ)f(ζ) and ∫-cos(ζ)f(ζ) ??

The answer seems to use the leibniz rule but they imply that the 'cos(t)' and 'sin(t)' were taken out of the integral..

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4
    cos(t) and sin(t) are treated as constants in the integral because the integral is with respect to zeta, and the integral itself is treated as a constant in differentiation because the derivative is taken with respect to t. The function inside inside the integral that involves t is differentiated as usual, and the integral is treated as a constant so it is left as-is.

6. Aug 8, 2012 #5
    Sorry I'm not sure what you mean but here's the method that I used (attached in the picture)

In the picture its ∫ f(x,t) from u to v.

In the question of this thread, I am above to take 'sin(t)' and 'cos(t)' out of the integration so that the integration only has 1 variable.

My question is:

How do we still apply (or can we) leibniz's rule if this is the case? (Only 1 variable)

Attached Files:

7. Aug 8, 2012 #6
    Yes, you can, just take f(x,t)=f(t) (check the link I gave about differentiation under the integral sign.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook