1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A group G is abelian if

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that a group G is abelian if g^2 = 1 for all g in G. Give an example showing that converse is false.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose g^2 = 1.
    gg = 1,
    (g^-1)gg = g^-1
    g = g^-1 -- means self inverse. but I'm not sure how to show G is abelian..
    and I don't know how I find counterexample.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2
    Try taking 3 elements from G, say g, h, and gh. You should be able to show gh=hg pretty easily.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    Just to add one more thing to the above post, you've shown that g=g^(-1) for all g. In particular, gh=(gh)^(-1)=...?

The converse statement is "G is abelian implies g^2=1 for all g in G". You should have seen enough examples of groups by now to find an abelian group where this doesn't hold.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4
    So.. Suppose that gg = 1, then ggh = hgg for all g,h in G, this clearly is that G is abelian.., right??
    And counterexample...
    G = {4,8,12,16}; multiplication in Z_(20)..
    because g^2 not = 1 for all g in G, correct??
    Also 1 means identity in this problem? or only number 1..?
    Thanks

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5
    Use the above poster's advice: gh=(gh)^(-1) by your discovery that each element is it's own inverse in this group.
    Now compute (gh)^-1

For the counterexample perhaps you should consider Z_5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook