1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A group isomorphism

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex](G,\cdot)[/itex] be a group. Defining the new operation * such that [itex] a*b = b \cdot a [/itex] it is pretty easy to show that [itex](G,*)[/itex] is a group. Show that this new group is isomorphic to the old one.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been experimenting with the possibility to define an isomorphism [itex] \phi (a*b) = b a [/itex] but can't really seem to get it right. Can anyone give me a hint on how to find the isomorphism?

Best,
    Tor

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Will the conjugate action work?

4. Jul 21, 2011 #3
    Hm, actually after doing some more exercises I figured out a function that works. I am not quite sure of what you mean by conjugate action but I post my solution here:

Let [itex] \phi: (G,*) \rightarrow (G, \cdot) [/itex] such that [itex] \phi (a) = a^{-1} [/itex]. Then [itex] \phi(a) \phi(b) = a^{-1} b^{-1} [/itex]. Consider now [itex] \phi(a*b) = (ba)^{-1} = a^{-1} b^{-1} [/itex] and we see that [itex] \phi(a) \phi(b) = \phi(a*b) [/itex].

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4
    Ooo nice. I was thinking of something like a --> ga(g-1). But that doesnt work.

6. Jul 21, 2011 #5
    This group is called the opposite group. It is important for studying the relation between left- and right- group actions. Just thought I'd throw that fun fact in there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook