Is it possible to find an isomorphism between two groups with a new operation?

In summary, the conversation discussed the definition of a new operation * on a group (G,\cdot) and how to show that the new group (G,*) is isomorphic to the old one. The idea of using an isomorphism \phi (a*b) = b a was suggested, but it was difficult to find a suitable function. Eventually, the solution \phi (a) = a^{-1} was found, which showed that \phi(a) \phi(b) = \phi(a*b) , making the new group isomorphic to the old one. The concept of the opposite group was also briefly mentioned as a fun fact.
TorKjellsson

Homework Statement

Let [itex](G,\cdot)[/itex] be a group. Defining the new operation * such that [itex] a*b = b \cdot a [/itex] it is pretty easy to show that [itex](G,*)[/itex] is a group. Show that this new group is isomorphic to the old one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been experimenting with the possibility to define an isomorphism [itex] \phi (a*b) = b a [/itex] but can't really seem to get it right. Can anyone give me a hint on how to find the isomorphism?

Tor

Physics news on Phys.org
Will the conjugate action work?

Hm, actually after doing some more exercises I figured out a function that works. I am not quite sure of what you mean by conjugate action but I post my solution here:

Let [itex] \phi: (G,*) \rightarrow (G, \cdot) [/itex] such that [itex] \phi (a) = a^{-1} [/itex]. Then [itex] \phi(a) \phi(b) = a^{-1} b^{-1} [/itex]. Consider now [itex] \phi(a*b) = (ba)^{-1} = a^{-1} b^{-1} [/itex] and we see that [itex] \phi(a) \phi(b) = \phi(a*b) [/itex].

Ooo nice. I was thinking of something like a --> ga(g-1). But that doesn't work.

This group is called the opposite group. It is important for studying the relation between left- and right- group actions. Just thought I'd throw that fun fact in there.

What is a group isomorphism?

A group isomorphism is a function between two groups that preserves the group structure. In other words, it is a bijective function that maps elements from one group to elements in another group while also preserving the group operation (such as addition or multiplication).

How is a group isomorphism different from a group homomorphism?

A group isomorphism is a special case of a group homomorphism, where the function is also bijective. This means that every group isomorphism is also a group homomorphism, but the reverse is not always true.

What are some properties of a group isomorphism?

Some properties of a group isomorphism include: preserving the identity element, preserving inverses, and preserving the order of elements. It also follows the group isomorphism theorem, which states that if two groups are isomorphic, then they have the same structure and are essentially the same group.

How can I prove that two groups are isomorphic?

To prove that two groups are isomorphic, you can show that there exists a bijective function between the two groups that preserves the group operation. This can be done by explicitly constructing the function or by showing that it satisfies the properties of a group isomorphism.

Are there any real-world applications of group isomorphisms?

Yes, group isomorphisms have many applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. For example, in cryptography, group isomorphisms are used to create secure encryption methods. In physics, group isomorphisms are used to study symmetries and conservation laws. In computer science, group isomorphisms are used in algorithms and data structures for efficient storage and retrieval of data.