A guide for new STEM undergrads

• Other
  • Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stem
In summary, "What Every Science Student Should Know" by Bauer, Kim, Zureick, Lee (2016) is a valuable book for new undergrads in STEM fields. It addresses the issue that up to 60% of new STEM majors do not finish in a STEM field and provides helpful information on successfully completing a BS in STEM subjects. The book covers topics such as adapting to university life, developing good study habits, choosing a major, undergraduate research, entrepreneurship, and graduate school. It also discusses the potential for higher pay in certain engineering disciplines compared to science disciplines, such as petroleum engineering.
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I just stumbled across a book which new undergrads might find valuable; "What Every Science Student Should Know" by Bauer, Kim, Zureick, Lee (2016) ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/022619888X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ). Its subtitle is "A survival guide for undergrads". Up to 60% of new STEM majors do not finish in a STEM field. It answers questions and give advice to many of the issue that new undergrads face and helpful information on successfully completing a BS in STEM subjects and a look into possible future options. Included are chapters on adapting to university life, developing good study habits, choosing a major, undergraduate research, entrepreneurship and graduate school.

• Informative
Likes jedishrfu, phinds, NotGauss and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure one driver is for science fields is pay as certain engineering disciplines pay much better than most science disciplines. One case in point is/was petroleum engineering where the industry lagged in hiring majors until recently as its ranks thinned due to retirements and the improving economy.

1. What is STEM?

STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. It encompasses a wide range of fields and disciplines that involve using scientific and mathematical principles to solve real-world problems.

2. Why should I pursue a STEM degree?

STEM degrees are highly sought after in the job market and offer a wide range of career opportunities. They also allow you to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in any field.

3. What can I expect from a STEM undergraduate program?

A STEM undergraduate program will typically involve a combination of lectures, labs, and hands-on projects. You will also be required to take a variety of math and science courses, as well as general education courses.

4. How can I prepare for a STEM degree?

To prepare for a STEM degree, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. You can also start exploring different STEM fields and careers to gain a better understanding of your interests and strengths.

5. What resources are available for new STEM undergrads?

There are many resources available for new STEM undergrads, including academic advisors, tutoring services, study groups, and career centers. It is also helpful to network with other STEM students and professionals to gain insights and advice.