Find Magnitude & Direction of Force on Gyroscope Shaft w/ 5kg Mass

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscope
In summary: For the case of (b), the wheel would need to rotate at 5.04 rev/s in order for the hands to apply a force of 4.9N.m to the shaft. In the case of (d), the requirement is that the resultant vertical force equals 0, and in order to achieve that, the shaft would need to rotate at a rate of .20 rev/s.
John O' Meara
A demonstration gyro wheel is constructed by removing the tire from a bicycle wheel 1.0m in diameter, wrapping lead wire around the rim, and taping it in place. The shaft projects .2m at each side of the wheel and a man holds the ends of the shaft in his hands. The mass of the system is 5kg and its entire mass may be assumed to be located at its rim. The shaft is horizontal and the wheel is spinning about the shaft at 5 rev/s. Find the magnitude and direction of the force each hand exerts on the shaft under the following conditions:
(a) The shaft is at rest
(b) The shaft is rotating in a horizontal plane about its center at .04 rev/s
(c) The shaft is rotating in a horizontal plane about its center at .20 rev/s
(d) At what rate must the shaft rotate in order that it may be supported at one end only?
My attempt (a) w = 5 rev/s = 10*PI rad/s. moment of inertia I=m*r^2 = 5*(.5)^2. Let the force in each hand =p; torque = r*p therefore the torque (T) = 4.9N.m
(b) If the shaft rotates at .04 rev/s, then the wheel rotates at 5.04 rev/s
(d)the requirement is that the resultant vertical force = zero i.e., p - m*g = 0 therefore p (the normal reaction force) =5kg*9.8m/s/s. T=I*(alpha) = (alpha) = T/I=9.8/(5*.25)=7.84; also t=dL/dt. Any help in doing parts a,b,c and d would be welcome, many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
also t=dL/dt, should read T=dL/dt. I don't think that enough information has been given in the question! what do you think?

Does anyone know anything about this question?

John O' Meara said:
Does anyone know anything about this question?
I think the question is easily misinterpreted, and it appers to me you have misinterpreted at least part of it. The rotations of the shaft in a horizontal plane are intended to mean rotations about a vertical axis through the center of the horizontal shaft, not rotations about the long axis of the shaft. In other words, the shaft remains horizontal, but you are changing the direction of the long axis of the shaft in that plane.

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of force on a gyroscope shaft with a 5kg mass?

The magnitude of force on a gyroscope shaft can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the mass is 5kg and the acceleration can be found by dividing the net torque by the moment of inertia of the gyroscope.

2. What is the direction of the force on a gyroscope shaft with a 5kg mass?

The direction of the force on a gyroscope shaft can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the gyroscope is rotating clockwise, then the force will be directed towards the right. If the gyroscope is rotating counterclockwise, then the force will be directed towards the left.

3. What is the moment of inertia of a gyroscope with a 5kg mass?

The moment of inertia of a gyroscope depends on its shape and distribution of mass. It can be calculated using the formula I = m x r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass. The value of r will vary depending on the specific design of the gyroscope.

4. How does the mass of the gyroscope affect the force on the shaft?

The mass of the gyroscope directly affects the force on the shaft. As the mass increases, the force required to cause a change in the rotation of the gyroscope also increases. This is because the moment of inertia, which is directly proportional to the mass, also increases.

5. Can the direction of the force on a gyroscope shaft change?

Yes, the direction of the force on a gyroscope shaft can change if there is an external force acting on the gyroscope or if there is a change in the rotation of the gyroscope. However, the direction of the force will always be perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the gyroscope.