Who was the first person hanged in Massachusetts and why?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Thomas Granger was caught in the act of bestiality with a mare, a cow, two goats, five sheep, two calves, and a turkey, and was likewise indicted. He was sentenced to death and had his last meal of stuffed turkey.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is an odd bit of history.

Can anyone name the first person hanged in Massachusetts, and why? You'll wish you still couldn't after reading this.
[Here]

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing...:uhh: Have you already started on the Nyquil and Near Beer?

A turkey? A Turkey? A TURKEY?
Suddenely I'm all in favor of seeing the laws put back into the books.

hypatia said:
A turkey? A Turkey? A TURKEY?
Suddenely I'm all in favor of seeing the laws put back into the books.

Yeah, I was trying to figure that one out too, but then I thought I might sound like I've been in WV too long if the rest of the list didn't surprise me as much as a turkey did. :redface:

Moonbear said:
Thanks for sharing...:uhh: Have you already started on the Nyquil and Near Beer?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I couldn't drink that much NyQuil! No, I happened to catch it on The History Channel.

Gobble gobble...

Ivan Seeking said:
Gobble gobble...

:yuck: Dangit, there are so many jokes that come to mind, and none of them suitable for general audiences. :tongue2:

Thomas Granger (1625? – September 8, 1642) was a servant to Love Brewster, of Duxbury, in the Plymouth Colony of British North America. Granger, at the age of 16 or 17, was in 1642 caught in the act of bestiality with a mare, a cow, two goats, five sheep, two calves and a turkey, and was likewise indicted.
All at the same time!?

Ménagery à trois

Math Is Hard said:
All at the same time!?

:bugeye: As twisted as my mind can be, I cannot envision any way that you could catch someone in the act with ALL those at once. Maybe some of them are just voyeurs?

Ivan Seeking said:
Ménagery à trois

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/Disappointed_anim.gif [Broken]
Groan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan's really outdoing himself lately!

It's crazy that there's (even today) special laws against bestiality (zoosexuality)! Why isn't the only question one of animal abuse? Oh, nevermind...don't tell me.

Those laws are there to protect people from themselves.

Didn't you ever hear about the story of the guy who got (literally) screwed to death by a Horse?

Dangit, there are so many jokes that come to mind, and none of them suitable for general audiences.

His last meal was stuffed turkey.

While bird-fixation may seem a fairly unique obsession, Marquis de Sade seems to have been a fan of it, if we are to judge by "120 days in Sodom".

1. What is the main idea or theme of "A Hanging in Massachusetts"?

The main idea of "A Hanging in Massachusetts" is the injustice and brutality of the Salem witch trials. It highlights the dangerous consequences of mass hysteria and the importance of due process in legal proceedings.

2. Who wrote "A Hanging in Massachusetts" and when was it published?

"A Hanging in Massachusetts" was written by Margo Burns and was first published in 2005.

3. Is "A Hanging in Massachusetts" historically accurate?

Yes, "A Hanging in Massachusetts" is based on historical events and is considered to be historically accurate. The author, Margo Burns, extensively researched the Salem witch trials and used primary sources such as court records and diaries to accurately portray the events.

4. How did "A Hanging in Massachusetts" contribute to our understanding of the Salem witch trials?

"A Hanging in Massachusetts" provides a detailed and nuanced perspective on the Salem witch trials, shedding light on the complex factors that contributed to the hysteria and the devastating impact it had on the accused individuals and their families. It also highlights the role of religion, politics, and societal expectations in the trials.

5. What lessons can we learn from "A Hanging in Massachusetts" in modern times?

"A Hanging in Massachusetts" serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of blindly following authority and the importance of critical thinking and skepticism. It also reminds us of the importance of protecting the rights of the accused and upholding the principles of justice and fairness in legal proceedings.