1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A hanging wire.

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wire CD (mass = 50 g, lenght = 40 cm) is suspended horizontally by two vertical wires (both at 90 degrees /hanging straight down) which conduct a current I = 8.0 A. The magnetic field in the region is into the paper and has a magnitude 60 mT. Calculate the force on the horizonatal wire only, and hence determine the tension in each vertical wire.

2. Relevant equations

I have the force on the electric field as F = ILB. But I can't find anything in the book or notes relating the force on the wire to it's weight?

3. The attempt at a solution

Tension = mass x gravity ?

:cry: Electricity and Magnetism just doesn't click with me like the rest of physics does...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    The wire tension is equal to the sum of all forces on the wires distributed among the wires. Positive tension being in the direction that would stretch the wire. Find all forces acting on the horizontal wire and the directions of those forces and add them up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook