1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Hard differential equation

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    A Hard differential equation!!!!

Solve:

dy/dx = (x^2) + y

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    The rules of this forum requires you to show some working, so that we know where to begin helping.

Can you solve the homogeneneous equation: dy/dy - y = 0 ?
    Can you find a particular integral?

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is a first order linear differential equation with constant coefficients- actually, it's about the easiest you could come up with. genneth suggested solving the "homogeneous equation" first. That would work.

But for linear first order equations, there is a standard formula for the "integrating factor". You could also use that.

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

mjsd

Homework Helper

relevant equation:
    if [tex]\frac{dy(x)}{dx}+P(x)\,y(x) = Q(x)[/tex]
    then
    [tex]y(x) = e^{-\int P(\eta)\,d\eta} \int Q(x)\;e^{\int P(\xi)\,d\xi}\,dx[/tex]

if you understand this you probably understand how to do your problem :smile:

6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
    thx guys

so........

first i should write it in the form

dy/dx + (-1)y = (x^2)

is that right?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  7. Sep 28, 2007 #6

mjsd

Homework Helper

the next step into better understanding this is to prove the formula above...

8. Oct 18, 2007 #7
    Proof hint

The way I always proved this was to make the differential equation exact first. Then the rest is algebra; ahem, calculus.

9. Oct 20, 2007 #8
    dy/dx-y=x^2 is a good start

To make your integrating factor, you do Exp(integral(-1dx)) (i hope that makes sense). Work it from there and see where you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?